One: @DracoNako

The Five Standard Questions:

Question One:

What inspired you to research and write the tough topic(s) that your novel centers around?

Right so I was messaged about Polaris and... honestly, that story is the most personal to me. The only situation that has never happened to me is that I don't have a cousin named Sarah and none of my cousins have ever been kidnapped. Everything else is either personal experience, things I wish had happened, or exaggerated instances of real-life events.

Question Two:

Has writing said tough topic changed the way you view writing, or the world in general? How has it impacted your creative aesthetic?

Writing this story was and has been very therapeutic for me. Cynthia is based off myself... in all of my stories, Cynthia is the only character that's most like me. And that's why it's hard to write Polaris... because sometimes it feels too real haha. My story is full of hope, though... just not where I'm at right now in the story. It comes later. It's kinda a reflection on my own recovery, I guess.

Question Three:

How do you hope to help people with your writing?

I hope to give readers a character they can relate to, or situations they identify with. Make them look at it and go "okay... things will be fine, I think." cause too many kids struggle with suicidal thoughts these days and it makes me very sad.

Question Four:

What does your writing process look like?

I have none. At least, not for Polaris. For my fantasy novel, I did a LOT of planning. For my sci-fi, I did a lot of research... and also scrapped the story four times before I finally got it how I wanted it. Everything has some variant of planning... except Polaris. I just sort of went with it.

Question Five:

What are your long-term goals with writing? What are your long-term goals outside of writing?

My high school has a senior project you have to do to graduate, so I'm going to clean up one of my novels [my sci-fi] and see if I can get it on the road to publishing. That would be awesome.

The Five Unique Questions:

Question One:

Through your writing, you tackle a lot of tough topics. Have these kinds of subjects always interested you? If not, then how did you become interested/inspired?

They've always interested me. I grew up being homeschooled after second grade, so I learned more about different cultures and societies than I would've in public school. And I was always kind of a loner anyway. My family and I used to actively watch the news and I would always see such... strange goings on. Now I see more of it and want to do something about it. With Polaris, it's about depression and the rising epidemic that is suicide.

With GSM, it's about the ugliness of the world... and kind of about my views on corporations and capitalism as well, but not as much because GSM is in Japan and not America. With my newest project Revenge Syndrome, I once again look at depression and suicide, the impacts both have... and branch out past there. There's a chapter coming up that will address the MC's view on trans* rights. Actually, it deals with LGBT rights in general. There's also issues of racism and family matters... issues that are prevalent in society but aren't fixed yet. I have yet to address racism full-on, though... I'm still unsure how to go about it. I'm white as white can be, and I'm always scared I'm going to offend someone who's reading...

Question Two:

List five of your favorite authors, in what way (collectively) that they have influenced you.

Oh gosh...

Haruki Murakami. I've only read one of his books, but it's beautiful.

Markus Zusak

Sara Gruen

Omar Holmon

J.K Rowling

Right so Omar is a slam poet, but he's damn good at it. He, as well as everyone else on the list, have taught me more about writing than anyone else, mostly because of their writing styles. They also have some out-of-the-box stories and outlandish ideas, ideas that are just amazing to read and absorb. They're all the kind of writer that I want to be, in a sense.

Question Three:

Through your novel, Polaris, you address the subjects of anxiety and depression, and do so with grace and respect. Did tackling these topics well require extensive research?

No, honestly, it didn't. I have experience with what Cynthia goes through. Her therapist is like mine was. Her issues are quite similar to mine. The only real place we divert is our circumstances. My mom and dad are around... but they're divorced. I have siblings. I have a few more friends than she does. My anxiety is a lot calmer than hers is... though it took some work to get where I am. I was once a lot like her... and that's the fuel I used in writing her. I don't think I did any research at all for Polaris.

Question Four:

You are an active participant in Camp NaNoWriMo. What is the most significant thing that participating in this event has taught you?

Time management. Seriously. Also, the fact that if I'm starting off really well, I have a higher chance of falling on my face later on. I nearly doubled my needed words per day by day three, meaning I was way ahead of the game... but that also means that now, I'm having a bit more trouble getting the words out for one story alone haha...

But no I tried to do Camp NaNo in April, amongst all my high school and college work, and did... eh. I finished the novel I'd planned to. However, I also fell short of my word goal. Oh well, can't win them all.

Question Five:

Hobby that you enjoy outside of writing?

Video games. Lots and lots of video games. Or hanging out with my boyfriend. He's the only person I see on a consistent basis... everyone else either cancels or just doesn't talk to me lol. But that's okay.

But no. Video games. Lots of Kingdom Hearts, lots of Pokemon.

I also watch a lot of anime. Trying to finish up Tokyo Ghoul...