19. Untarnished

-Natalia Swan-

Everything smells of disinfectant, the sandalwood kind from my childhood, and apple cinnamon. It burns in my nose a little with other medical smells. My eyes have crusted, the darkness is still so inviting, now I have to fight it back. Although they're still heavy, I try to slowly work my lids open. The sound of heels muffled on the floor to the right of me tells me I'm not alone, and the scent of petrichor. Still in a daze, eyes locked closed, I test my arms and find leather holding them down to the bed I'm in. My hands clench into fists, instinct telling me to try and break loose. Reason telling me not to.

There are flashes of memories, gentler ones. Nimble fingers stroking my hair as we lay together trying to shut out the world, plaiting it when I still hadn't learned the French plait for work. A cold hand pulling me out of the way of the Unit passing down the hall when we were supposed to remain out of sight. Words confided, plans made, a bastard and unholy tears falling. Dark times, a betrayal. Petrichor tied up in it all.

I finally open my eyes a crack, to see the dim light in a plain room. There are some machines, but for the most part it's a disappointment where enemy facilities are concerned. "If I get loose," My voice is little more than a gruff croaking sound as I speak to the shadow sat in the corner, sat up on her countertop. "I will kill..."

"I know," Her answer was less solemn than I imagined, "I'll take my chances for old time's sake."

"Sentimental fool," Despite some time passing from the explosion, my throat is still hoarse. There's dust settled in it and smoke still being filtered from my lungs.

In the corner of my barely opened eyes I can see a slight glint, she's smirking. "Yet I have had everyone believing otherwise, even you, since I left."

My neck aches, so it's stiff, I manage to shake it from side to side like a robot with rusty joints, the shuffle of my hair on my pillow like static in my ears. The corner of my lip pulls up, "Even before then. But I always knew you were sentimental, the foolish part is new. You don't know how to pick enemies."

"I'd say we did pretty well, Natalia, three years is a long time when you're up against Trinity, or Ides." Her arms are crossed and material rubbing against itself tells me they're tightening.

"I didn't mean the company,"

"You, too," Her smile is evident in the way she breathes the words.

My smirk brightens as I find I'm able to open half of both lids. The colours in the room are still blurring with the darkness, but there are no abyss lights and so this feels like a soothing break. "What happened?" Glancing over to her, her silvery eyes are now visible to me as they switch from black orbs.

"It appears Griffin found out what was happening, and without a thought, rushed to your aid." There's coldness in her voice now, something grating in the message.

"He always was an idiot."

"Yes, not just because you're going to be more trouble than it's worth." She shifts from the counter she's on, her feet touching the floor with barely any sound. "He got himself captured."

"Pity. I'd have liked to have been the one to take him in and make him suffer." I hold my voice at a dismissive tone.

"I'd have preferred that myself." Walking forward into the lighter part of the room and into view, she looks pale. Not in her usual sense, but washed out. "You'd have killed the moron quicker. A mercy compared to what he may face now."

"Kate would never forgive me." It came out of nowhere, at least nowhere I liked to admit I had. "I suppose I could have lived with that." I added as steely as I can before it appears I have some weakness where my half sister's opinion is concerned.