22: The Project and a Slipped Secret

Before I know it, it's already Friday. The day we have to talk about our essay. I just hope that Mark and Jake know what they're talking about and stick to the script. I pale once our group is asked to go next. Not that we really have a choice. As I stand in front of the class, I feel like I'm going to be sick. I've never been a fan of being the center of attention. Giving a speech should be easy considering how many events I've gone to because of my parents. I'm not sure why I'm so nervous. It's not like I'm talking in front of the whole school.

Jake grabs my hand to make me feel better, but it just makes me more nervous. I take a deep breath. I just have to give the first, most important part of the speech then let Jake and Mark take over. At least I don't have to worry about the slide show, I think to myself. I take another breath before starting.

"By definition, literature is a written work. When most people think of literature, the first thing that comes to mind is a book. There are fiction and nonfiction books, both breaking down into several categories.

"But not a lot of people know the importance of literature. As strange as it sounds, fiction is fuel to the imagination. It allows us to temporarily live in another world. Nonfiction books inform us on nearly anything we want to know.

"I once read an article on the importance of literature. It talked about literature preserving ideals such as love, friendship, faith, and more. When you stop to think about it, books revolve around these ideals. There are so many books that are centered on or at least involve some great love story."

I move to stand beside Mark as Jake starts talking, letting out a shaky breath. Thank goodness it's over. Mark grabs my hand and gives it a reassuring squeeze. I give him a small smile in return, refusing to look at the class. Suddenly thankful that I'd asked to be given the shortest part to present, the presentation is over before I know it. The bell rings, signaling the end of the school day. I shove things carelessly into my backpack. Jake watches for moment with wide eyes before grabbing my hands and telling me to calm down. Mark starts fixing my bag, knowing how organized I like things.

"You're really pale," Jake tells me, concern laced in his voice.

I frown. "Gee, thanks."

Jake lets go of my hands and Mark gives me my backpack. "He's right," Mark points out. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"I don't think you should drive home." Jake stares at me, watching my expression.

"Then how do you suppose I get home?" I ask, frustrated. "I'll be fine on my own."

Mark snatches the keys out of my hand as soon as I pull them out before turning to Jake. "I'll drive her."

"I didn't even know you could drive," I joke.

"I'll be right behind you guys," Jake says with a nod, ignoring me completely.

We separate, Mark leading me to my car while Jake takes off to his. The ride is quiet, the radio playing softly. Then everything goes downhill.

Halfway to my house, it hits me like a ton of bricks. "Mark," I mutter. "I think I'm going to be sick." Mark glances over at me with a horrified look on his face. In the time he takes to look at me, he manages to nearly hit another car before pulling over as quickly as he can. I grab at the door handle to open it when it's opened for me. Jake stands there with a confused look on his face. I shove him out of the way as I lean over and throw up next to the car.

Mark scrambles to get out of the car. I hear him tell Jake, "I can't stand puke. Even just the smell of it makes me want to barf."

I close my eyes, not wanting to stare at the pile of vomit next to my car, as tears stream down my face. Jake curses under his breath. "Are you okay?" he asks. "You aren't going to throw up again, are you?"