Chapter 1

I pulled the covers over the bed and tucked them in, placing the lace pillows against the headboard. Briskly walking over to my mirror, I brushed out my hair as I scrutinized my form reflected on the glass. I was wearing a red varsity style sweater with black shorts and tights underneath. Securing a red sash over my head and tying my high-top vans, I dashed down the stairs and pulled the door opened.

"Going to the usual spot?" My father asked from the couch in the living room, watching me grab my oversized denim jacket from the hanger next to the door.

"Yep!" I responded cheerfully, still in a good mood from my birthday festivities, before closing the door behind me and walking passed the gate. Weary from yesterday's events, I turned the corner carefully before pacing forward two blocks. Up ahead was the sign for the park, its dark green color fading from the years of varying New Jersey weather. I cut through the grass hill and saw the big oak tree at the foot, its thick branches raised steadily against the wind. I placed my hand on the trunk, running my fingers down the bark as I observed its textures and colors. Eyes glazing over, I thought back to when my mom last came here with me. She had explained the ways to identify a tree based on its trunk and leaves.

"Lobed leaves and scaly bark," I recalled in a murmur, looking up at the branches above. I squinted in an attempt to see the leaves better. "Pointy edges mean it's a red oak..." Trailing off, I felt a presence behind me. Turning around sharply, my gaze fell on the boy I saw yesterday. I stepped back instinctively, stumbling over a stray root.

"It's you again." I spoke softly, mortified. I had a strange feeling about this. Nodding, he reached in to grab my hand.

"You need to come with me." He insisted firmly, locking his hand around my wrist. "Come on." He pulled me into a steady walk, guiding me away from the tree as my brain tried to catch up with the bizarre order of events. I dug my heels into the ground, bringing us to an abrupt stop. He looked back with a questioning glare.

"I don't know you!" I explained in a hiss as I tried to rip my hand from his grasp, rolling my eyes like it was obvious. "Who are you? Why should I follow you? You've told me absolutely nothing." I demanded, growling in frustration as his hold remained firm.

"Now's really not the time." He dictated impatiently, glancing around the park briefly. "I'll tell you on the way." He tried walking again, but I pulled him back with all the force I could muster.

"No! What makes you think that I'll willingly go anywhere with someone I don't even know?" I asked him, my feisty mouth moving on its own. "Tell me who you are and what you want, or I won't go with you." I stared at him fiercely, surprised I was even giving him the benefit of the doubt. He sighed.

"You seemed easy enough." He insulted me, clearly irritated with my resistance. My nostrils flared. "Come on. I'm really not going to do anything suspicious."

"You're so funny." I stated sarcastically, in disbelief with how stubborn he was at ignoring my words. "No."

"Fine." He stated simply before tucking himself under my arm and slinging me over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. Without hesitation, he sped towards a parked car and if I wasn't so focused on thinking that I was being kidnapped in broad daylight, I would have been busy admiring it. As my mind and pulse raced, I began panicking, scratching at his arms. Kicking and struggling to get out of his grip, I was hoping to make it difficult enough so he could let go.

"Let me go! Someone, help!" I screamed ferociously, looking around in hopes to see a bystander. "Where are you taking me?!" He sighed at me and opened the car door before tossing me in. He shut the door behind him quickly, not caring that he almost closed it on my ankle. He walked around the car and got in the driver's seat, injecting the car keys into the slot. I tried opening the door and froze, realizing the child lock was on.