Wedding Jitters

Author's Note: Here's a short chapter of what happened on the morning of Ryan & Maureen's wedding. This is part one. Hope you like it. xx

Wedding Jitters 

"Um... Maureen?"

I slowly dragged my gaze up over Cara's silver, strappy sandals and silky silver-blue skirt, up to her laced bodice and diamond necklace, finally settling on her concerned, troubled face.

"Yes?" My voice came out in a whisper.

She stared down at me, biting her lip. "Um... you cried away all your makeup."

I looked back down at my lap, where black tears were beginning to dry on my slip. "Oh..." Slowly, I rolled to my knees. Grabbing hold of the lip of the vanity table, I pulled myself up until I could just see my reflection of the mirror.

Black streaked my face. All the pretty colors and shadows that the makeup artist had applied were gone. My skin was pale and mottled looking.

"Um..." I looked at Cara. "Do you think she can put it on again?"

"Sure," she said tentatively.

"Okay." I sank back down to my seat on the floor, leaning against the vanity. A minute later, Cara sat down next to me.

 It was silent in the hotel suite for a full minute.  The air conditioner whirred in the background and I could hear the distant chatter of my bridesmaids in the other room. I stared at my lap.

Maybe I can pretend to have the flu... Maybe I can say I tore my dress...

"Maureen," Cara broke the silence.

I'll just run away...

"Maureen..."

No, I can't do that to Ryan...

"Maureen..."

Why is this so hard?

Smack!

I jumped, my hand flying to my face in shock. I faced Cara, my cheek pulsing. "What was that for?!" I demanded hoarsely.

She glared at me, all traces of sympathy gone from her face. "To snap you out of it."

"You- you slapped me!"

"Maureen, I got news for you: this isn't a funeral. It's a wedding. Your wedding. And I know you're nervous and I know you're emotional but you need to pull yourself together."

"You slapped me."

"So?"

"I'm going to have a red handprint on my face for my wedding pictures!"

"At least you won't be crying!"

I glared at her and she glared back. A minute or so passed. The stinging faded and Cara's eyes started dancing. I couldn't help a small, choked giggle from escaping my pursed lips. Suddenly, we were both laughing.

"Oh, your face – it was priceless," Cara gasped for breath.

We fell back on the floor, clutching out stomachs, laughing hysterically. Tears streamed down my face but I couldn't tell if it was from mirth or terror....

"Oh, Cara," I said, wiping my eyes as I turned my head to look at her. "I'm so scared."

The playfulness faded from her eyes. "I know." she said solemnly.

"I almost want to call it off."

"Why don't you?"

I stared at her.