His Little Angel

His Little Angel

I cracked open an eye, peering blearily at my alarm clock.

4:13 a.m. The numbers flashed in red. From her nursery, Rianne's wail escalated in volume.

Does this kid not like to sleep? I blew out a tired breath. It was the fourth time tonight that she'd woken up crying. Ryan made a noise in his throat from behind me. He heard her, too.

I shifted, preparing myself to leave the warmth of my bed when I felt Ryan lift his head behind me. 

"I'll get her," he mumbled, dropping a kiss on my shoulder.

"My hero," I smiled as he pulled away and climbed out of bed. He went to the other room, where I could hear his deep murmur soothing Rianne as her wails dropped off to a pitiful mewing.

I sighed, slipping back to sleep.

~ * ~

The sun shining in my eyes woke me up the next morning.

 "Ahhh..." I stretched out across the cool sheets. How long did I sleep? I glanced at the clock: 7:12. My eyes widened. Three hours. When was the last time I slept three hours straight since having Rianne?

With a jolt, I sat straight up. Seven o' clock... Ryan would be late for work if he didn't get up soon. I turned, ready to shake him awake, but frowned in confusion when I saw that the bed was empty.

Probably in the shower, I nodded to myself. Not that I could hear the shower... but he could be getting coffee or something. I settled back into the pillows, in no rush to hurry and get up. Of course, I was only going to allow myself a minute or two. I wanted to check and see if Rianne was awake. I smiled to myself.

Last night was the first time that Ryan and I went out on a "date" since Rianne was born. We'd left her at my parents' house in the arms of a proud Aunt Cara. It was difficult to leave her - for both of us. At the restaurant, Ryan looked down at the floor next to me twice, and when I asked him what he was looking for, he said nothing; I knew he was looking for her cradle. Then, there was this couple there that had a baby with them; they were sitting a few tables down from us. At one point, the little girl started to cry and Ryan almost got up – I grabbed his arm just in time, reminding him that Rianne wasn't with us. Somehow, we still had a good time, and I put my bid in to make Friday nights "our nights."

Today-

Today. I sat up. Hold on. That would mean that today was... Saturday.

"Yes!" I shrieked quietly. I'd totally forgotten. That meant no work, no appointments. Ryan was all mine and Rianne's for the day. I sighed blissfully. It'd been a long week and I always looked forward to the weekends. I got to spend them with my two favorite people in the world.

Of course, I wasn't the only one who enjoyed them. Ryan definitely needed the day offs. Dad promoted him to chairman of BFN's home company, and he was pretty much running the show lately. It was grueling work though- round the clock. I was more used to it, having seen Dad do it for those first few years; still, Ryan rose to the task with a determination that stunned everyone except me, and now he spent all his free time on the phone, managing the company. I had to get used to it, not spending twenty-four seven glued to his side, but having Rianne helped. She filled some of the void that not having Ryan around as much created. Life had become a race to see how short I could cut my showers, how fast I could clean the kitchen, or how quick I could get through a workout before she woke up from her all-too-short naps. Still. I loved every second of it. They say that moms go crazy over little things like their babies' feet or the color of their hair, and I'd always thought it a bit over the top before I was "initiated." But that was exactly how it was. Rianne's feet were the cutest flipping things I'd ever laid eyes on (except the sight of Ryan's hair in the morning, I think I might need to add). I loved cuddling her and the way she curled into my shoulder when we picked her up last night drove tears to my eyes.