Chapter 38+39 Over the Edge and Dead or Alive

Chapter 38

Over the Edge

“Please, Brinn—you have to be all right.” Justin lifted her face to his, watching her blue eyes glaze over and flutter open as if she were struggling to focus on his voice. He held her close, rocking her and thanking God he'd found her. Her pulse was strong against his fingertips as he touched the side of her neck.

After muttering a few words and ignoring his lame string of apologies, Brinn had slipped into unconsciousness. Hopefully she’d heard his final words of encouragement in reply to her latest Dickinson quote. As he stared down into her sweet face, Justin’s heart wrenched. He carefully set her on the ground and examined her wounded shoulder. The blood saturated the front and back of her tee shirt. The bullet had torn through the fleshy part of her arm, but appeared to have missed the bone. The seeping blood had begun to thicken. He took off his back pack, tore open the zipper, and furiously rummaged for bandages.

Cody looked on from the doorway, still surveying the shrubs for signs of the bear’s return, apprehension lining his rugged features. "She’ll be okay; we got to her in time, Justin. I’m sure of it. Search and rescue can't be far behind us.” As if on cue, the distant sound of barking dogs reached Justin's ears, bringing another wave of relief and drawing his attention to the cliff’s edge.

A loud thud and a groan called his awareness back to the doorway. Cody was lying on the ground in front of the cabin and Roy Stockman stood in the doorway, wild-eyed and bloody, gun in hand. "Get away from the girl. She’s mine." His voice rasped with effort.

Justin froze. The man had the gun trained on him. Blood streamed down his face; his clothes were saturated and torn. Cody’s motionless body lay sprawled on the ground. The sight left Justin cold. He faced the man and stood his ground in front of Brinn. "You aren’t getting your hands on her ever again."

Stockman growled, "I'm not leaving here until I see her dead!" The man swayed in the doorway, staggered out into the clearing, and waved the gun as if he were seeking a moving target. He swiped at the blood that streaked his face and ran in his eyes. What skin wasn’t covered in blood was gray with shock.

"I won’t let you hurt her." Justin’s voice had taken on a sharp edge, his eyes fixed on the wavering weapon in Stockman's hand. If he moved fast, he was certain he could disarm the man, but he had to get him to come closer. “The police will be here any second. You won’t get away.” His voice sounded calm despite the quivering of his insides.

Roy Stockman glared defiantly at Justin, a vicious smile curving his lips. "I’ve got two bullets, Kid. One is for her." Seeking his prey, his dark eyes focused on the movement behind Justin as Brinn stirred. “Whether the second one is for you or me—well, I guess that’s up to you. Either way, I’m not going to prison. Now, move away from the girl!"

Justin tentatively stepped to his left. He shielded Brinn from the man's view and drew his attention away from her. The movement seemed to infuriate him further. His torn face contorted with rage and his good hand waved the gun wildly, the bloody right hand clutched in a fist at his chest. "I will kill you where you stand, Boy. Get out of my way!" Stockman took another step forward.