(Part 18) Epilogue

The sound of smooth, silky notes reached his ears, luring him from slumber's embrace and into the bright summer morning. He stretched, reaching for his wife to pull her close as he drifted back to sleep. His hand found nothing but a dented pillow and a wrinkled sheet. Eyes snapping open, he tossed the blankets back and padded barefoot out into the hallway. He followed the song. She was singing 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' and it sounded like magic in her provocative, bluesy voice.

Logan stopped in the doorway of an empty room and leaned against the doorjamb, just watching her. Tara stood in the middle of the big, open space and continued to sing to herself. Her back was to him, but he didn't need to see her face to feel the pull. She was the smartest, bravest woman he'd ever known. They had been through so much in the past year, and the first week had only set the tone. After the FBI had finished questioning them about the death of Joey Balboni, it had been Jason who had suggested that Tara reconsider Witness Protection. She had refused to do it without Logan. She had said, in front of several federal agents and her own brother, that she didn't trust anyone else to keep her alive. If Logan hadn't already been so incredibly in love with her, that alone would have tipped him over the edge.

Tara had been incredible during the trial. Not once had she wavered, instead staying strong and sure as she gave her testimony. John "Johnny B" Balboni had gotten the maximum sentence for the kidnapping and attempted murder of Tara. The FBI were still working on wrapping up the human trafficking case, but Special Agent Melinda Lockhart was convinced they'd have it before Balboni was even eligible for parole.

And now they were here, in a three bedroom house in the suburbs, free to live as the blissful newlyweds that they were.

She turned to look at him, smiling brightly as she always did when she saw him. Even when she was raving mad at him there was some magnetic pull that made it virtually impossible for her to not smile, knowing that he was hers.

"Morning beautiful," he said, stepping into the room.

"Good morning," she said happily as he wrapped his arms around her waist and rested his chin on her shoulder as they both stared at the blank white walls.

"You ready for Megan's wedding?" He asked her. Tara grinned.

"I will be once I get dressed." She chuckled.

"Why are you in such a good mood?" Logan's breath tickled behind her ear and she shivered in response.

"I'm thinking we should paint this room."

"You don't like the off-white?" Logan asked innocently. Tara elbowed him. As soon as they had moved into this house she'd had a paintbrush in hand. The entire main floor had come alive with bright colours to replace the manufactured neutrals that had been painted throughout.

"Actually, I was thinking blue," she said with a sigh as she leaned back in his embrace. "Or maybe pink. Though, I guess we could always compromise with a yellow?" Logan had gone very still against her and it was so difficult to not laugh with the joy that was bubbling up inside of her. She turned around to look at him, holding on to her solemn expression.

"What do you think?" She asked him. Hope widened his eyes, softening the confused disbelief on his face.

"Tara," he said quietly. Her control broke and she grinned at him, feeling as though sunbeams had burst inside of her. Logan kissed her once, twice, three times. She was laughing as he spun her around before stealing her breath with one of his soul-wrenching kisses.

"I love you," he said, awed as his hands dropped down to the smooth planes of her stomach. Tara skimmed her fingers through his hair, smiling at him.

"I will never get tired of hearing that," she said to him, "so don't ever stop saying it."

"I love you," he repeated, pulling her into a fierce embrace. Tara sighed happily, knowing that their real adventure was only just beginning.