Chapter 6: Mob

AFTER AN HOUR AND THEN SOME OF WANDERING the quiet streets of Cambria, the six of them headed to an all-night diner in the middle of town. An unlikely group, all from different scenes, but connected by the leftover energy of dancing.

The unwind, Mikey called it. The part that came after the clubbing-for-hours. They were tired, but no one was ready for the party to end. Not even Ling, who looked like she might actually be asleep, slumped against the red leather of the booth. Kelsie could feel Ling's connection to the group, the sizzle of the coffee she'd drunk before nodding off.

Kelsie sat with her back against the window, letting the rising sun warm her. Her shadow across the table hardened as the dawn drew on. She'd start every day this way if she could. If only the Cambria clubs always stayed open late like they did in summer.

Mikey gave her a smile. "Did you have a good night, little sister?"

Kelsie nodded. "Yeah. You?"

"Sure. When I see you coming, I know it's going to be a good night. You always know how to pick the right club."

"Or maybe I make it the right club."

Mikey laughed. "Is that why they always let you in?"

Kelsie felt herself blush. She doubted anyone else could spot it under her makeup. She always wore makeup to go clubbing. Without it, she looked too young. Of course, by now the bouncers all had standing orders to let her in. Most nights she even got a few free drinks.

They might not understand how, but the owners and managers knew she brought a good time.

As the sun rose, though, the faces around her grew sleepier. Coming-down, coming-out-of-it faces. Remmy was playing with a saltshaker and staring at the girls across the table. Kelsie had thought they were sisters when she'd met them, but in the dawn light they just looked like two girls who dressed the same. And who were, right now, ignoring Remmy while he tried to find a way into their conversation.

One of the girls said, "The DJ was awesome tonight."

"Totally," Remmy said.

Both girls pretended not to hear. One turned to Kelsie. "The guy on the door told me Driver's playing tonight. You like Driver?"

Kelsie nodded. She liked any music that got the crowd psyched, got them bonded, ready to dance and dance.

Remmy said, "I like them."

Flat, blank stares from the girls.

Kelsie realized it was coming on fast, the moment when the group would begin to fracture and fall apart. No longer united by a common goal-to dance, to move-their thoughts were beginning to turn in other directions. To real-life jobs and how can I get that girl to talk to me and, ultimately, getting home.

It felt as though her heart were shrinking.

A waitress approached, both arms loaded with plates that steamed in the sunlight. "Slim super stack?"

Food got them energized again. The flash of anticipation, the buzz of hunger around the table, made Kelsie smile.

Mikey pointed at the empty space in front of him. "Right here."

He had to push the dozing Ling off his arm to eat his pancakes. Ling sat up and rubbed her eyes, making black tears of her mascara. Her long hair was a messy tangle, strands of it still clinging to Mikey's sleeve. Ling couldn't help but be beautiful.

The waitress put another steaming plate in front of Kelsie, who claimed the syrup bottle and let it run until square pools formed in the crisscrosses of her waffles. After a long night of dancing, she needed sugar and carbs. She poured syrup until she had to eat her waffles with a spoon.