Chapter 14

I gingerly got down from my fancy podium, not trusting my balance with a concussion. I snaked around the crowd, now tinged with shame, and followed Roy. He moved fast. He was already back in his apartment by the time I reached the second floor.

I found him sitting, shoulders slumped on the leather couch in living room. Beside him sat a trucker's radio, which I could only assume was the one that belonged to Tim used for contacting the mercenaries. It was Roy's only lead to finding his wife and he sure as hell wasn't leaving that behind.

The bedroom door was closed and I could hear Chloe talking to Amanda through it. I don't think that kid knew how to whisper. Roy's packed bags were waiting by the door, ready to go for tomorrow morning.

"Roy listen-"

"Bailey don't. I need to leave. For me."

"I'm not going to say what you think I am." I approached him and leaned against the wall in front of him.

He looked up at me, dark circles under his eyes.

"Why don't we leave together?" I still wasn't sure of my words once they left my lips.

Roy's mouth fell open.

"You're right, I wasn't thinking that at all," he ran his hand over his forehead. "Aren't you worried I'm dangerous?"

"You know, I was pretty scary myself last night too," I admitted.

It was true, last night I let my anger take over and something ugly had emerged. Who knows, if Roy hadn't killed Tim, maybe I would have.

"This place needs a leader and I was never much of one. I think you'd fill the role better," Roy sighed and leaned himself against the back of the couch.

I made a scoffing sound, "It would be a sad day, the day anyone put me in charge. I've wanted to go since I got her and now I have my opening."

Maybe he would be more open to the idea if I put a selfish spin on it. I wasn't scared of Roy; after all, I had killed before. Albeit, it was never someone tied up and at my mercy, but if he hadn't killed Tim, what would we have done with him? It wasn't an ideal situation, but I didn't see an alternative.

"And where would we go?" he asked, testing the idea.

"Where did you plan to go?" I countered.

At the defeated look on his face, I knew he had less of a clue than I did.

"Fair enough. You need help getting to the gun store you were talking about?"

"Indeed I could," I nodded. "It's going to be a long trip back and I could use the help."

"Have you told Elaine and Mac? I'm sure they won't let you go without a fight."

"It's not their choice," I shrugged.

"Well, you better start packing then. I want to leave at first light tomorrow."

"Pretty demanding words for a guy who has no idea where he's going," I raised an eyebrow.

Roy let out a harsh breath, "I just don't want Amanda to see all the people's reactions to me or hear anything they may say. Maybe most will still be asleep that early."

"You forget this place is like a retirement village, full of elderly people who get up at five in the morning."

"Good point," Roy chuckled. "I just want to put this all behind me as fast as I can. Lingering will only make it worse."