Chapter One-

• Dedicated to Chloe Baumgardner

The sky was a mesmerising shade of orange and pink from the grassy spot up on the hill where she lay. Her name was Ruby Grace Conner, of the age 17. To her right lay a book and a flashlight, to her left her phone and a slip of paper with the name of the boy who will be moving into the condo next door. The sunset was starting to fade, 'Plop' her cell phone made as she received a text from her best friend Derek. 

"God Derek, what do you want.." She said as she turned and looked down towards the horizon.

A bulk, muscular figure came running up the hill towards her. Ruby picked up her phone and sent 'is that you coming up the orchard towards me'. 

'No... why' Derek's text came almost instantly. She jumped up and put her things into her side bag. 

"Hello.... excuse me... is there anyone out there" came out of her perfectly curved red lips.

=====+ Ruby's POV +=====

I couldn't see anything now, or really anyone... it was dark now. "Dammit where did I put my Fucking flashlight!" I said as I moved into the shadows of my family's orange orchard. I grasped around in the grass where I had once been laying day dreaming of Derek. He doesn't know I like him.. or even love him. The boy I grew up with, the one that's always held me when I was crying, tan and lean, muscular with brown hair and hazel eyes. I could almost smell Derek's scent on the bracelet he gave me the night before for my birthday. 

"Ruby!" woke me out of my trance, it was Derek standing in front of me with his shirt off and a sandwich.

"FUCK YOU" I screamed as I rn into him and hit him in the arm.

"God 'wormy' whats got you all jumpy" he said in his deep tone of voice.

I smiled and said "You scared the shit out of me! Jumping out of the dark like that"

"I thought you liked the dark" he said as he winked and gave me half of his sandwich.

"Oh, you know I do" I smirked, "But I saw a guy figure running up the hill towards me.. and you said it wasn't you." I paused. "Or were you lying to me". I laughed .

"Hmm lets see, did it look like me" ha ran back down the hill and stopped at the bottom and started running back up towards me.

"I'll take that as a yes than" I said right as he threw me over his shoulders.

"Alright are you ready to meet you new neighbor worms"

I hated that nickname ever since I earned it. Derek has called me ever since we used to play house and once he made me a mud pie in honor of the race I won against the girl in the school yard. It just so happened back then mud tasted good, we all ate a mud pie as if it was an actual cake, Derek put a worm in mine.... and well, lets just say I had a bit of extra protein that day....

"Rubes you still awake up there?" I could hear the smile in his voice.

"Of course!" I said even though his skin against mine was more than enough to keep me warm and dazed. 

"Where are you taking me, all I can see is your ass" I said with a little laugh and maybe a smirk. 

"Mhhmm, haha. I told you were going to go meet your new neighbor, he's just settled in his condo, he's been moving in all day"

"Are you sure we should bother him.. don't you think he's tired after all he did today"  I said lightly nibbling his toned back.

He broke into a light jog and turned in circles to make me dizzy. Only if he knew he made me dizzy just at the sight of him.I need to stop thinking like this... he would never like me, or even think of me any more than his best friend, or even a sister. 

We came to the paved road when he finally sat me down. "why did we come this way.. we could of just cut through the orchard and down my driveway" I said confused and looking up at him.

"Well, uhm.. I like the way the stars look from here and how the road looks as if it could go on forever and ever on end." he said with a slight blush.

I smiled at the fact that he thought about these kinds of things to. We walked for it seemed like forever in silence. 

"Ruby I need to ask you something." My heart beat quickened at the sound of these specific words that came out of his mouth.

"I'm here, go on... yeah?" I said kind of awkwardly.

It wasn't until another five minutes until he answered me back.

"Well its summer and... uhm... My family has a house up near this water fall on a private beach.."

"yeah?" I said kind of confused way. I turned and looked at him but he was already looking at me with his perfect hazel eyes.

"Well I have been wanting to get away from here and uhm I don't want to leave you here.. so do you maybe want to go with me... I'll be leaving in two weeks... so.. will you?" He said in a nervous voice.

"Of course I will!!!" but I'll have to arrange a few things before I leave." I said and then interlocked arms

He smiled and the put his arm around my shoulder as we walked up and knocked on the soon to be "friend of mine". As the door opened and we had time to see who was standing in front of me Derek's grip on me tightened. In front of us was a tall, tattoo'd, strawberry blond, twenty year old. I could tell he was looking me up and down, and I sure as hell didn't like this, I am to awkward without all eyes on me! 

"Hey There" he said to us still smirking at me

"Hey, I'm Derek and this is Ruby, Were neighbors." He said with bitterness in his tone.

"Mmm, Ruby.. cute name. I'm Harry" he said back with a glance toward Derek and then to his arm around me.

Why was Derek acting like this all of the sudden... this is weird... 

"Dammit" I said as I looked at Derek "What time is it" I said with a wild look on my face

"About 10:30" he retorted back

"Whats a matter love, scared of the night?"

"Fuck Off" I said as I stepped out of Derek's grip on me. I was late, I needed to be back up at the house at 10:00. I had my 'secret' stuff to do.. and now its to late.

"I'm sorry Derek, I've gotta go" I said as I broke into a sprint up the road and then to my house.

=====+ Derek's POV +=====

"RUBY WAIT" I yelled after her. Before I knew it she was out of sight and I was left standing alone with the invader. "Stay away from her" is all I said as I turned and ran in the direction of her house. I stopped at the edge of her driveway and walked along the white picket fence that outlined the Field in front of her house. I looked up at the moon and knew I should just leave, if she wanted m to come with her she would of asked me. "Dammit Ruby" I yelled at the patch of purple, white, yellow, and pink daises scattered all over the field. I thought we could of went down to the lake tonight and just talked. I could talk to her for ages, even if it was her doing the chattering about what she wants to wear tomorrow, just her being there and with me is perfect. God, does she feel this way... what am I kidding I should just forget about her... and move on, she doesn't feel the same way I do about her. 

Why did I even ask her to go stay with me on my summer vacation... will we finally get together or will I just drive her away.. 

I couldn't stop thinking about how that douche was looking at her and the way he talked and even acted around her. I will not be able to sleep when I know he's living beside her... dammit why do I have to feel this way, any more of this and my heart and mind will burst, burst into a thousand pieces, unable to fix or glue back together. 

I saw something run past me and up her drive way, Shit.

"Hey, STOP, you.. stop there.." I said running toward her driveway. As I took the first running step onto her gravel driveway I was thrown back into the air as if I was a paper airplane sending a message to any other intruders trying to penetrate in. 

"What the fuck... just happened..." I said as I stood up rubbing my shoulder. All of the sudden everything went black and I could smell the smell of her perfume... what the hell was happening.. Ruby?