SEVEN - Could Be Darker

They'd debated locations for evening food, but the winner was clear from the start: Subway, yet again – Hobson still wanted that sandwich. He got the full footlong meatball, whilst Choi sat there, moaning that she couldn't have the same thing for both major meals of the day.

The more she sulked, the slower Hobson ate.

After he took her down the road and bought her a Cornish pasty, they found themselves on a bench, a few feet back from the street near some grass and a church. She devoured the whole brown pastry-blob in less than a minute. For such a tiny thing, she ate like a wolf – maybe she was the killer. At last, both finished, they stared at the sky.

The Inspiration Gestation Station was only five minutes' walk away, and they tried to wait away from public transport. Didn't want any of the Social Awesome staff to pass by and realise they were heading back later.

"So, Choi," Hobson said, "what do you think Matt wants to tell us? Now you've decided he's not the killer."

"Maybe he's gonna tell us the same thing Lettie told me – Lyne killed William to keep Social Awesome going."

"She didn't really tell you that, and Lyne told me he didn't do it."

"And he would never tell a lie? He's basically Skeletor," Choi said, grinning in satisfaction at her own insight.

"How does someone as young as you know who Skeletor is?"

"From the internet, other people mention it."

"Right. Good." Hobson sighed and brought the conversation back around. "There isn't some dark secret, y'know? They're just a bit lazy. You don't kill someone to stop that spreading, you just pay them off."

"But Lyne's evil," she said, as if he'd missed the winning argument.

"Real people aren't evil, Choi." Although, he must admit, Edward Lyne often seemed despicable. "So you've gone off Matt as a suspect?"

"Maybe he's just creepy."

"Maybe," he said, happier with that sentiment.

The dark settled, the commuters were drifting out onto the pavement around them. Most were on their way to the area's many bars and shops, ready for action after escaping the office. Their ties were steadily loosening. Hobson kept his pushed up tight. "When did Matt's stupid note say we should meet him?" he said, foot twitching.

"Seven."

Hobson looked at his watch. "Half an hour's time. Let's get this over with."

They got up, threw their rubbish away and joined the surge of people down the road, watching for the shadow of the IGS in the left darkness. The building's decor was less infuriating when he couldn't see it.

*****

When Angelina first visited the Inspiration Gestation Station, it felt like a friendly, welcoming place. She enjoyed the chatty receptionist and bright colours. Social Awesome's business environment seemed way better than her own, at first anyway.

That hadn't lasted long. Not only were Social Awesome not all they seemed, but returning to the IGS late at night, the sunlight dissolved away, it didn't seem as wonderful. The sharp angles loomed above her like a haunted rock. All the lights were out, except Social Awesome's. Even the reception area was in darkness. She jumped out of her skin as a car started nearby, Hobson glared at her.

An intercom sat on the wall next to the glass card-locked front door, and she pointed at it, nervous. "Um, Matt's note said to buzz him and he'd come let us in."