Chapter 13

3:36 Bathroom Stall

"Madison? It's Brianna and Jordyn." Brianna knocked on my stall door. I sniffled and opened the door. "Aw honey." Brianna hugged me. I started crying into her shoulder.

"What happened?" Jordyn asked me once my breathing steadied.

"He started saying that he likes something and I thought it was gonna be me then he stuttered and said the dance. I got really embarrassed and ran here." I sniffled. Jordyn hugged me and Brianna handed me a tissue. "No guys. I'm fine. I can't let this get to me. I have to be in rehearsal in 2 minutes." I sighed as I wiped my tears. I walked to the studio and redid my ponytail.

"Hey. Where'd you go? I was trying to find- are you okay?" He asked me as I met his eyes.

"Yeah I'm fine." I weakly smiled. He hugged me.

I heard him mutter "I'm such an idiot."

"Huh?" I asked him.

"Nothing. We gotta practice." He brushed it off. I nodded and Ricky came in.

"Hey kiddos. Let's see what we got." He greeted. We ran our dance and Ricky sighed. "Do you remember what I said to you before you left Madison?" He asked.

"I have to perform." I answered. 

"Yes. You know the steps. And you said you were good friends with Zack. So what happened? This was so much better before." He sighed frustrated.

"I'm sorry. I'll work harder." I sighed.

"Look, we're gonna finish this dance and then instead of dancing during our next rehearsal, you two are gonna have one on one time. Just talking. No friends. No phones. No moms. Okay?" He informed. I sighed and we both nodded. "Okay. So to end this, Madison you'll have your turn section and Zack you'll do your leaps and meet in the middle. You'll spin Madison and as she goes down your faces will get closer. And that's the end. Cool?" He choreographed.

We tried the dance from the top and technically it was amazing. Facially, we sucked.

"Okay. Madison, do you know who you're playing?" He asked.

"Cinderella before the ball." I answered.

"Good. Zack?"

"Her prince."

"See you guys know who are. Just not how to execute it. Madison, what is Cinderella feeling?"

"How she wants her prince to show up because she is never wanted. She wants to feel wanted." I answered.

"You guys know about your characters, so why can't you be your character? You both had the emotional aspect before you left. Now Zack barely has any, and Madison seems afraid of him. You need to connect. We have our next rehearsal in one hour It's going to be 2 hours long. You two will come here and talk for an hour and a half and then we'll see if anything has changed. Go." Ricky sighed. We thanked him and quietly left.

I started walking towards the green room when I heard Zack call my name.

"Madison!" I walked faster. "Mads wait!" I heard him start to jog to catch up. He put his hand on my shoulder.

"What?" I asked trying not to cry.

"What's wrong? You were fine right before that rehearsal." He asked. I could tell he was he genuinely concerned. Aw he cares. No Madison! Stop this. You're here to win. Not to get caught up in the drama.

"Look it's nothing. It's not important. I gotta go do an interview. I'll talk to you later." I sighed. He hugged me and I lightly hugged back. I walked away and went to the interview room. I sat down and answered any questions that were asked.