Part 12

Paco stared at himself in the mirror, or rather, at El Devioso. It was strange to be back in a mask he had swore off, especially missing his trademark hair, but for some reason, it also felt good. Out of any other character he had played over the years, he had connected with El Devioso the most. With El Devioso, he could rebel against El Rey, even if the character was approved by the man himself. He could indulge everything El Rey never could, shit talking, cheap shots, the spite from the crowd who had love-hate relationships with all things rudo.

Of course, Paco wasn't immune to the own love-hate relationships in his life. He hoped he didn't have that type of relationship with Rita. If anything, there's was more hot-cold. The wedding had been hot, if only for the fact that he had been able to be with her, holding her, dancing with her, when she looked so beautiful, and could technically do nothing about it. They were business partners, so she said, although her lingering looks at him said different. Then again, he hadn't heard from her since then, so he really had no idea. He was sure he would see her at some point in the night, it was the last show of Summer Nights.

Stepping out into the main area of the dressing room, he stopped in front of the roster for the night. His eyes automatically focused on the big match at the bottom, written in bold red lettering: !El Regreso del Devioso! The whole inner workings of La Alma were excited about the idea, and Paco was hoping it would payoff with the crowd.

Frowning, Paco leaned in, focusing on the second to last match of the night, the women's final.

"Hey, órelay, who's the new luchadora?" he called out, but no one answered.

Rita was sweating through her spandex. Her match was just minutes away. She had managed to avoid Paco all night by using the upstairs bathroom of the arena as her own personal dressing room. She knew this was a convenience she was lucky to have. Even now, she was still doubting whether or not this was a good idea, but it was far too late to turn back now.

She had to admit she was proud of herself. Six weeks ago, this whole thing would have been something she had scoffed at. Now, standing in her bright yellow outfit, she pulled the mask Roxanne had gotten for her over her ponytail. It looked like a masquerade mask, covering only her eyes and the bridge of her nose, and bejeweled with gold and orange rhinestones. Besides the small area the mask covered, the rest of the costume didn't leave much to the imagination. She turned, examining her figure in the mirror. In just the past few days of intense training, she already felt like it had done wonders for a backside that had been seeing way too much chair. Now she looked strong, and more importantly, she felt confidant.

More or less.

No turning back now.

She heard the beginning of the women's tag team event, beginning with Sandra Q's theme blaring over the stereo. Rita exited the bathroom, watching from the balcony as Sandra Q bent herself over the ropes seductively to step into the ring. Roxanne was next, followed by who would be Rita's arch nemesis, Brujita.

Estrella Linda was carried out by Bribón, her leg in a cast. Sandra Q and Tani laughed, their hands placed on their hips triumphantly. Roxanne would either have to concede or find another partner, the announcer said tensely. Rita readied herself as the five second countdown for Roxanne to find a partner began. Roxanne threw her hands up helplessly, until, "Aaaaah, damas y caballeros!" the announcer exclaimed. "Qué es? La chula en caléndula?"

Rita ran down the stairs of the arena towards the ring. The crowd seemed to want to swallow her whole. She focused on her steps, not wanting to embarrass herself more than she was already about to.