16: The Little Williams

So the story of Caroline Thomas was recounted for the third time, but this time by the young Time Lord herself.

Amy stood speechless for an unexpectedly long time, searching for the appropriate response to Caroline's incredible journey from human to Time Lord to orphan to someone's daughter once more. Rory put a hand on the ginger woman's shoulder when he saw her eyes shimmer with swelling tears.

Caroline didn't quite understand why Amy seemed to be holding back her crying, or why she was crying at all, but chose to keep quiet about it, watching Amy glance from Jack to Caroline. Her eyes finally rested on the Doctor's kind face, which was split in a childlike grin. Despite the tears blurring her vision, Amy smiled at him, a somewhat choked gasp of a chuckle escaping her lips.

"So you're not alone, then, Doctor?" Her smile widened and a tear slid down her porcelain cheek.

"Not anymore, Pond. No."

"Mum?" A voice floated into the room from the top of the stairs. Those facing away from the voice turned suddenly, Amy quickly wiping under her eyes.

A little boy in rumpled pajamas descended several steps and stopped. He had black hair that was disheveled and sticking up in practically every direction. The boy rubbed one of his tired eyes with a balled up fist.

"Well hey there, little guy," the Captain said with a grin, a hint of something in his eye that Caroline couldn't quite place.

"Georgie, did we wake you?" Rory asked, concern and guilt coating his words.

The boy nodded sheepishly.

"We're so sorry, dearie. Come here," Amy cooed, holding her arm out to the child. He shuffled down a few more steps and leaned against her leg. She kissed his head, letting him bury his face in her side. Rory turned his attention back to his guests.

"This is George Williams. Our son."

"Oh," the Doctor said, his eyebrows rising inquisitively. His face split into an enormous grin. "Hello then. I'm the Doctor." He gave a giddy little wave at the child, who simply stared back at him.

"I've heard of you," George said, his voice very small.

"Oh, really? Have you? From who?" George looked up at Amy; she nodded.

"Mum and Dad tell me stories about your wonderful adventures. About you and your blue box, the TARDIS, traveling through the universe, through all time and space." George detached from his mother and leaned in closer to the Doctor, his eyes wide.

"Have you really seen a whole planet made of diamond?"

"Went to the spa there."

"And traveled to a parallel universe?"

"Only for a bit."

"And did-" His voice dropped even softer. "-did my dad really once turn into a Roman? Made of plastic?" George's face was dead serious. The Doctor couldn't help but crack a smile.

"Yes, he did. And he protected your mum for a whole 2,000 years, waiting for her to be set free from that Pandorica's box they might've mentioned." George's eyes widened, and he turned to face his parents, a laugh escaping his mouth, open in awe.

"It happened! It really happened!" he exclaimed, jumping up and down, "It really did! It really did!"

"I know, I know, silly," Amy said, grinning and playfully poking his nose.

"All your adventures really happened, Dad!" He lurched toward Rory, wrapping around his legs and gazing up at him with his face lit up and eyes sparkling. "You really were cool and everything, defeating bad guys and blowing up spaceships!" George made his hands into guns and sprinted around his parents, shooting at imaginary adversaries.

"Of course I was, Georgie! Of course I was." Rory's eyes found the Doctor. "I was cool. Very cool."

"Still cool in my books, Rory," the Doctor assured him.

"Never took me to a spa, Doc," Jack joked, clapping a hand on the Doctor's shoulder. "Seems you owe me a trip, then." He glanced a Caroline, who watched George bound around with a smile widening across her face. "Owe us a trip."

"Oh, as soon as possible then, Captain."

He saw Rory and Caroline and Amy chatting happily at few feet away; something about his bowtie was mentioned. Caroline met the Doctor's gaze momentarily and he could see the joy in her eyes, the joy of finding family and friends and people who understood.

George suddenly appeared at the Doctor's elbow, tugging on his jacket sleeve.

"Doctor?" The Time Lord bent his knees until he was eye to eye with the boy.

"What it is, little Williams?"

"Can I see it? Your TARDIS?" George practically trembled with excitement.

"See it? Only certain, very special people get to see it, George." The boy grew very solemn. "But are you clever?"

"I think so."

"You think?" George scrunched up his nose in thought, before understanding.

"Yes, yes, I am!"

"Are you polite?"

"Yes!"

"Are you cool?"

"Yes, Doctor," the boy replied with a laugh.

"As cool as my bowtie?" Chuckles came from around the room.

"Yes, yes!"

"Then I suppose you're qualified, George Williams." A noise erupted from George that was happiness in its purest, most innocent form.

"YES!" He leaped into the air in elation. "Let's go, let's go!" George grabbed the Doctor's hand and began dragging him to the door.

"Alright, alright, little Williams." The Doctor chortled and gave a half-hearted wave behind him. "Back in a jiffy!"

"I'd better go keep 'em out of trouble," Captain Jack added, saluting the remaining members of the room. "Amy. Rory. Nice to meet you." The older Williams' nodded in reply. He closed the door behind him, his long coat swirling in his wake.

"Can I offer you a cuppa, Caroline?" Amy said, eyeing the weariness on the young Time Lord's face now that the excitement had died down. She motioned to the nearby kitchen.

"That'd be lovely, Mrs. Williams."

"Oh, it's Amy, don't be daft," she insisted as she left the room, her red hair swinging like a gorgeous pendulum as she walked.

"It makes her feel a bit old, I think," Rory said quietly, a smirk dancing on his lips. "When anyone calls her that. Or ma'am. She throws a fit at restaurants, you can imagine."

"Oh, I can, Mr-Rory."

As Caroline followed Rory to the kitchen as well, a wave of agony hit her such force she was surprised she wasn't knocked from her feet. Her head was going to burst, she was sure. She cried out, despite her best efforts not to, and clutched at her skull.

The last thing she felt was Rory's gentle hands catching her as her world went black once more.