Chapter 13

"She'll be immobile for a few weeks. It would take an adult wolf only a few days, but her bones are weaker than ours because they're still developing. She will have to keep getting the morphine shots for a few more days at the most. She can't do too much or her energy will be drained. And she may have to go through a few months or physical therapy, but we won't know that for sure until she's strong enough to start back walking again. That should be all for now."

The doctor left the room, and I turned back to Kaisigni. It had been a few days since the incident and all I could do was worry. Dr. Wrine assured me she was fine, but it didn't help at all, and I had been sitting here by her side ever since, only leaving to shower and change clothes. Kimo had been bringing food down for the past three days. He'd tried to get me to leave, but I wouldn't budge. I couldn't leave her right now. How could I let something like this happen to my three-year-old daughter? What exactly does that say about me as both a mother and a Luna?

I lightly stroked her hair away from her forehead. She looked to be in a peaceful sleep, and I was thankful she was okay. I needed to thank Onyx for helping me. He had called me saying he would be here soon to see Brylane and check on Kaisigni. I would thank him then.

"She's okay." Kimo whispered in my ear as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

I blinked back the tears. "Yes, but how do you think this is going to affect her? And Brylane?"

He sighed, "She won't ever go into the woods alone again, and she might be scared a little when it's time for her to shift. Her wolf will take over and force her to go in, and she'll be terrified, but you know what?" He asked rhetorically, "She'll have us by her side, and she won't have to be scared of nature. It's her natural habitat. And as for Brylane, he's going to be extremely protective of her as we already predicted. He'll protect her with his life no matter what especially when we're gone."

I nodded, "Okay."

He was right. We would be by her side whenever she needed us. We would help her and Brylane face all their fears and achieve every goal they will ever want in life. We would protect her for the rest of our lives and so would Brylane. I needed to be strong, not just for her, but for Brylane also, and Kimo, my whole family. They all need me to be strong and responsible and I would be that no matter what.

"You didn't do anything wrong, Lizseth." Kimo said turning me to face him.

I sighed, closing my eyes and shook my head. "I just can't shake this feeling, Kimo. I know something's not right. I don't know how and I don't know why, but I feel it and it's just eating away at me. I can't explain it, but..." I cut myself off and swallowed back the tears.

Kimo's hand slid up the side of my face, "Look at me." I slowly opened my eyes and saw him smiling softly at me. "If you feel like there's something wrong, go with whatever your gut is telling you."

^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>

"Brylane, honey, I need you to listen to me very carefully, okay?" I stared into him big, innocent blue eyes intensely. I had left Kaisigni with my mother and now I was sitting in living room of the pack house about to interrogate my five-year-old son.

Brylane nodded and glanced around the room at all the people watching him. "Okay, mommy."

I took a deep breath, "Brylane, when we went to the park did you and Kaisigni go into the woods?" It was a stupid question to ask because I already knew they did, but I wanted him to know what this was about first. Brylane nodded and glanced around again. "Baby, I need you to concentrate on me, look at mommy. Why did you go into the woods?