Chapter 16: Somehow, Someway, Someday

I was hoping for some more votes.... But I am posting this chapter anyways because my friends are hounding me for it (you two know who you are!). Anyways, I hope you like this one, I have been anxious to write it!

Enjoy!
______________________________________

(Damen's P.O.V. - a few days later) 

It had been a few days since my mother's death. The pack has been in a state of mourning. Everyone is moping around and neglecting their chores and responsibilities. Well everyone except the fighters and patrols. They are on constant alert because we still have no idea how the rogue wolf managed to make its way that far into our territory unnoticed. I have been training harder than I ever have before; hopefully I will be strong enough to challenge my father for Alpha position soon.  

My father has taken a turn for the worst. Before my mother's death he was power hungry but still ran the pack without any major problems. But now... Now he is ruthless and heartless. He blames the pack for her death and is taking out his anger on them. He makes the males work endless hours - away from their mates, he makes the females clean and cook all hours of the day, and worst of all, he is whoring around. He is using the 'pleasure' he gets out of it to help him cope, and most likely, forget about mom's death. My father needs to hand over the pack because on my eighteenth birthday in a few months, I will take it if he doesn't hand it over willingly. Challenging an Alpha is a dangerous task. Only another Alpha can beat him, any other wolf to try would be killed in the fight. The fight will only end when one of the wolves summits to the other, also known as giving up pretty much, or if one of them dies fighting. That would result in the other's immediate victory.  

My father has been neglecting to train or shift into his wolf lately. I think his wolf is too depressed with the loss of his mate to handle anything. When a mate dies, people's wolves are sometimes known to lie dormant for the remainder of their lives. The wolves will shut down because of all the pain they feel. It is amazing I have even lasted this long with Cassidy's death. I think the only reason I am still here is because our bond hadn't really formed enough to cause significant damage to my wolf or I. Yeah, my wolf is still quiet and in mourning, but he still makes sure to make his presence know in my head. He is quite frankly annoying with all the calling out for his mate that he does. It's constant sorrow and howls in the back of my head; I can usually tune him out.  

My mother's death has set the preparations for Cassidy's funeral back. My mother's funeral has been put on the first priority, her being Luna and all. I have planned it, no thanks to my father who is too busy making an ass out of himself to even bother to help. He should at least attempt to show some remorse, loss or any emotion at all! He isn't acting the way a mate should; he needs to step up soon.  

My mother's funeral has been planned for this afternoon. It will be taking place in the back yard where the pack has set up chairs and flowers of every color. My mother loves - loved - flowers. Yet even with the pops of color everywhere, it still managed to look completely depressing. The sky was overcast and the ugliest shade of grey, actually a perfect match to the grey linens wrapped around the trees hanging from the chairs. They were supposed to make the yard look fancier, but honestly it just looked like the material was choking everything beautiful out. I frowned to myself, it was kind of like how death had wrapped itself around everything beautiful in my life: first Cassidy and then my mom, and honestly it might as well take my dad too,  not that I'm calling him beautiful....

The whole pack is expected to show up to her funeral. They have to pay their respects to their Luna, who has left us too soon. I never got the chance to see my mother smile for the last time. Or to hear her laugh. She hadn't done either since she found out I rejected Cassidy and acted the way I did almost a year ago. Now I will never have the chance to see either.