Chapter 17

"Can I talk to you alone for a sec?" Zayn asked me as soon as we got to his house, or almost "old house". "Sure," I answered, looking to Harry and smiling as he nodded. I pecked him on his lips and soon he was smiling brightly too. I turned back to Zayn motioning for me to follow him somewhere. We both walked away from his driveway and towards his backyard. Many kinds of trees surrounded his beautiful house and my feet gradually slowed. I observed the house that would soon be vacant.

The cream color of the outside of the house made up it all with the perfectly squared windows. "Em?" Zayn's deep voice was heard and I glanced over to see him with a cute smirk. "What?" "Why are you creepily staring at my house?" I laughed and lightly punched his arm. "Oh Zayn, shut up. I was just admiring it." He smiled at me, rolling his eyes and taking my hand in his, leading me to the backyard again. It felt a little weird being hand and hand with him since I'm obviously with Harry.

For some reason, I didn't mind though. "Okay, um let's sit," Zayn gestured over to the lawn chairs and I skipped over to them, plopping down in one and waiting for him to join me. His long legs strode over and stretched out as he sat down with me. "Zayn," I said his name softly. "Yeah?" His face leaned in closer, his hazel eyes locking with my brown eyes.

"I'm really going to miss you," I whispered, blinking back tears. "I'm going to miss you too, so very much," he replied, moving closer and putting his palm on mine. "Are we going to be able to talk some way?" He frowned and his hazel eyes were somber now. "I'm not sure, Em. I'll try to keep in touch though, I promise." I just nodded and listened as all the little sounds outside had disappeared, and now it was silent.

"Okay, um now, why I wanted to see you alone..." Zayn looked like he was blushing, but I could barely tell since the sun was quickly going down. I smiled at him and waved for him to go on. "I just want to tell you, Emery, that..." I waited slightly anxiously and crossed my legs. "You're the most amazing, genuine, beautiful girl I've ever known. I know you're with Harry, but I just can't leave without you knowing..."

"Knowing what?" I wondered in a small voice. "That I'm hopelessly in love with you, and I've wanted to do this since that day I saw you in Starbucks." Before I could try to understand what he meant, his face got even closer and suddenly, his lips were on mine. His hand reached up and held the side of my face, brushing my hair back and kissing me with more intensity.

Even though I knew it was wrong, I kissed him back. His lips felt firmer than Harry's but they moved easily with mine. I didn't know what I was doing; my hand raised and my fingers spread out, grasping the pieces of his jet black hair and slowly pulling him further. I thought he would be enjoying this, but as soon as I gave in, he jerked back whilst cussing at himself.

"I'm sorry," we both apologised at the same time, laughing awkwardly after the fact. "Zayn," both of our expressions became serious again as I lowered my voice. "Hmm?" "I have to tell Harry." He nodded his head, understanding that if I didn't tell Harry, he would somehow find out and our rekindling relationship would be destroyed.

"Em, if you wouldn't mind, could you tell him after I'm gone?" I smiled at Zayn's scared look and nodded, "Yeah, somehow I don't think you'd be leaving without being hurt." This made Zayn smirk, "I think I could take him." I rolled my eyes at him and sighed. "You lads are crazy." I began walking back to Harry, when Zayn tugged on my arm, making me stop.

"What?" "Promise me something," he voiced with a desperate tone. "Okay," I responded quietly. "Remember me, 'kay?" Zayn's eyes watered over and he started walking quickly to the front of his house. "Zayn, stop! Come here!" He didn't turn around and his pace got faster. I ran to catch up and collided with Harry's tall frame. "What did he do?" Harry demanded in an angry voice.

"Nothing, Harry. I need to talk to him before he leaves!" I pushed a surprised Harry out of the way and searched for Zayn. I spied him settling into his car and sprinted over. The car's wheels moved forward and I ran in front of them, making him screech to a stop. "What the hell are you doing, Emery?!" He yelled in a worried voice. "Don't leave yet. I promise I won't ever forget you. I will always remember you, Zayn Malik."

The sounds of his car engine stopping were picked up by my ears and I relaxed. "Thank you, but I really have to go now. My family is waiting for me." I hurried over to his car window and crouched down as I opened his car door. "I have to tell you something." He leaned back in his seat and waited patiently.

"I wouldn't have expected me to say this, because I'm in love with Harry," I started, making Zayn pout slightly. "But, I love you too. Maybe not as much as you love me, but it counts for something, right?" I smiled as tears rolled down my cheekbones and Zayn grinned back. "I really don't know what I'll do without you, Em." He swiftly reached over, giving me a soft kiss on my cheek and starting his car again.

I froze as I noticed footsteps becoming clearer from behind me. My body spun around and soon I was eying Harry's figure. "Harry?" Harry looked to Zayn and nodded that he was listening. "Treat her right, okay? Love her like I would if I could." Harry replied with, "Of course I will," but he said it in a nicer way than he usually used with Zayn.

Zayn gave me one last smile and then rolled up his window, pressing the pedal with his foot and heading off to his new home in Bradford. "Are you mad at me?" I knew that Harry knows what happened and he heard everything. "No," he sounded tired. "Why not?" "I knew you loved him. I'm okay with it though. He made you happy when I couldn't, so I respect him for that." My brown eyes widened, "I never would've expected the 'war declaring Harry Styles' to say anything like that."

Harry grinned with those amazing dimples and put his hand on the small of my back. "Expect the unexpected, Emmy."

****************************

"I wish he didn't have to leave. He was like my best friend, aside from you. You'll always be my cheeky bff." Harry twirled my hair with his fingers and kissed my neck. "I'm sorry that you're upset, babe. I wish I could make it better for you. I know this is really hard." I nodded, sighing as I scrolled through the telly guide. There was literally nothing worth watching.

"On the bright side, it gives us more time together." I smiled, knowing he was trying his best to cheer me up. "That's true. What are we doing tomorrow?" "Anything you want," he brought his lips to my forehead and I closed my eyes, reveling in how calm he made me. "I have an idea...of what we could do tonight." Harry winked at me and I suddenly felt that I really wanted him. "Okay," I agreed right away, making Harry chuckle.

"Oh, Emery. You silly girl," he buried his face into my arm and I felt his lips smiling against my skin. I frowned in confusion, "Hmm, you were joking then?" His face shot up from where he'd hidden it and he jumped up off the couch. "Definitely not, I always want you." I rolled my eyes and stood, pulling his arm over my shoulder and leading him into my room.

___________________________________

I feel like you guys might think this story is going nowhere, but trust me, it is. I just have to get through all of their time together before the apparent "tragedy" haha.

Anyways, Zayn's confession was bittersweet </3

Harry & Emery special moment next chapter ;)

~Isabella(;