Chapter Ten

I went to work with a guard who looked like a boyfriend, we laughed and joked. It was a good reprieve for all the drama that has been going on in my life so far. I had found a small paradise. Tara was coming in later, Steve, the guard was going to pick her up once I was settled in here and he'd done a security check. I settled in my desk and allowed Steve to walk around and check everything, he went into Tara's office, and mine with this hand-held contraption saying he was looking for 'bugs'

"Don't you need fly spray for bugs?" I questioned, he stopped working and looked up at me, like he was trying to gauge if I was serious or not. When my expression didn't change he started to laugh. I wasn't sure I enjoyed being laughed at again. It felt like I was back at home, mind you, I didn't stay around long enough for them to pick on me, but I know that they were about to. I folded my arms and pouted at him,

"You're not allowed to laugh at me I'm your boss!"

He smirked at me and shook his head, "Technically I was hired and get paid by your parents, who by the way, said to treat you the way they do."

I folded my arms and playfully glared at him. I was both annoyed and relieved they had sent a guy with a sense of humour. It lightened the mood a little and helped with a little less stress.

My office was a large room, it had two couches with a coffee table by the large bookcase and that's where I sat with paper work coming out of my ears, there was so much to do and all I could think about is writing letters, two in fact, one was addressed to Axel and the other to Athena.

With all this madness going on in our lives I felt that I wouldn't be able to talk to Axel about his daughter without wanting to castrate or relieve him of one of his limbs. I was fuming that he had acquainted himself was such a dangerous person. I knew why he wanted her but saying it out loud would make it real. I had so much work to do and if I got this over and done with then I was sure that I could concentrate. It took an hour to finish Axel's letter and less then 15 minutes to write Athena's.

Steve had left to get Tara and in my moments peace I reread the letters I had written. I started my paperwork again, there were things Axel wanted to do to change the company and out of spite I wanted to burn them all. I would have, if the ideas and proposals were terrible, but they were far from it. I read all the files and even called in our company lawyer to read them over, he and I sat in my office with coffees and contracts. There were neat piles of paper; rejected ideas, undecided, accepted. There was also the pile of contracts I had read through for my lawyer and the ones he had read through in piles he thought they should go in. I decided that I needed to read everything over one last time before finalising them.

Before I knew it, lunch had already passed. I leaned back onto the couch. I had sat on the floor after I felt my back aching. The only reason I had stopped was because my stomach made a loud and abrupt noise. I dismissed the lawyer for lunch and sat in the office just reviewing things, I stood up and walked to the desk pressing the intercom between Tara and I.

"Tee, can you go get lunch for us? Take Steve."

She let out a laugh and I could hear him grumbling in the background. "Sure. Steve said he felt like he's being pimped out."

I chuckled and smirked, "Well, he gets paid enough for it! Go forth and multiply, wench" I said sardonically. I could hear Tara laughing on the other side of the door and grinned satisfied, he deserved it for the comments this morning. I turned to my computer and read a few things and sent emails to clients. My office phone rang and I picked it up,

"El, Mr. Melbourne is on the phone asking for an urgent call."

"Send the call through." My voice was back to cold and cut throat business woman. It was frustrating, in this world a woman was less valued as a person, male leaders thought that they could walk all over us because we were apparently the weaker sex. Weaker sex? I don't understand how they can think that when the only way for a man to be in this world was to be birthed by a woman! How can we be the weaker sex? Men literally had to rely on their mothers to live in the womb. I digress.