Chapter Nine

Chris's eyes narrowed at me and I opened my mouth to explain what was going on, but then Jeremy appeared next to Chris, yapping away. "But I mean, what are we going to do with the formaldehyde we stole, anyway?"

His words momentarily distracted me. They what? They'd stolen formaldehyde?

"I think I have an idea for it," Chris said, staring down Isaac menacingly.

"Ah, Chris, it's not what you think," Isaac began, laughing nervously. "I wasn't doing anything suspicious."

Chris yanked Jeremy the rest of the way into the classroom and then shut the door behind him. I heard Isaac suck in a deep breath beside me. I held up my hands, trying to give Chris the best puppy dog look I could muster. There was a smack down about to happen. "Um—"

"I think you two are doing something suspicious," he accused, getting dangerously close to the two of us.

I took a step back, right into Isaac, who shoved me forward again, knocking me into Chris's hard chest. I was good and trapped. "It's definitely not what you think it is, Chris." Did he think I was doing something bad? Did he think I was cheating on him? I'm sure that's what it had looked like. But he would know better, right?

He stared at me hard, jaw tight. "I'll give you one chance to tell me the truth, Holly."

"There's nothing to tell you," I replied quickly, trying to keep my voice calm. "It's really nothing."

"It's my fault, I shouldn't have touched her," Isaac added just as fast. "I just noticed a bruise and was pointing it out, but I should've known better. She yours. She's all yours. I'm not trying to take her! Don't hit me!"

I glanced behind me at Isaac who was all but cowering. I mean, Chris was scary, but I doubt he would actually hurt the poor guy. Chris just wanted to scare him.... Hopefully. "Really, Chris. I wouldn't do that to you. You know that, right?"

Chris's lips quirked up a little, like he thought I was being funny. "Holly, I know you wouldn't cheat on me."

I relaxed slightly.

"I mean, I'm probably the best looking man in the state, so I doubt you'll leave me."

Despite the situation, I had to keep myself from rolling my eyes. Typical arrogance. I was worrying for nothing. Jeremy snickered and turned it into a cough, so he could continue to pretend that he wasn't listening in on us, which he obviously was.

"However I do know that you guys are hiding something from me," he continued, crossing his arms over his chest. It made the muscles in his arms bulge intimidatingly. "I always tell you you're a terrible liar and yet you still lie to me."

I felt my heart fall into my stomach. "I'm not lying to you."

"Just tell me what you two are hiding before I beat it out of Isaac. I'm feeling a little frustrated. Especially after seeing someone else touch my lady," Chris said, slowly cracking his knuckles, making sure each one had a prominent pop.

Isaac grasped my shoulders, using me as a shield. "We went to see Shawn! Is that what you wanted to know?"

I rounded on him, eyes wide. He couldn't just drop it like that! Chris was going to flip! "Isaac!"

"Holly," Chris started sternly as Isaac looked anywhere but at me.

Lowering my head, I turned back to him. "Please don't be mad. I really was going to tell you. Soon. Like, sometime this week soon. Once I gathered the courage."