Chapter Thirteen

(Kendra in media)

"N-Nova, what are you doing here?" Elias stammered, pushing the girl off his lap gently much to her dismay. She wasn't even ugly. She had long, shiny brown hair and sun-kissed skin. Her eyes were a very green hazel. She was tall and skinny and beautiful with legs to die for...

And then there was me.

I felt hurt and betrayed.

"I'm learning what mates are like. Isn't it just fascinating," I said sarcastically before turning on my heels.

"Nova, wait!" he said. Against myself, I stopped. I felt the tears welling up, but I held them back. "Kendra please," Elias muttered to the girl. That felt like twisting the knife. He chose her, not me.

"No, allow me. I wouldn't want to interrupt anything. My apologies Alpha, I'll remember to knock next time," I said bitterly. I ran out of the office and outside. I don't know where I was going but I needed to get away. I'd had enough of this. I was sore and tired. It literally felt like I'd just been dragged through hell, only to come back to this. I pushed myself to run faster as I let my tears go. I cried as I pushed myself further away from the house.

"Nova," Elias said as he grabbed my arm. I looked at him as my tears fell.

"What more do you want from me?! Just leave me alone," I cried. It was quiet for a moment. I used the opportunity to pull my arm out of his grip.

"I can't leave you alone; you're my mate," he said as if it were just that simple. I huffed a breath with a sarcastic smile before I rolled my eyes.

"Is that what we are? I couldn't tell from all the lying, threats, and cheating. So why don't you just let me go then since I'm clearly not needed or wanted here," I said quietly. I had hoped that maybe I was jumping to conclusion. I sighed and calmed down briefly. "What did you do when I was gone?" I asked softly. Elias didn't answer right away which was as good as him telling me. I held up a hand, immediately stopping him. "And spare me the lies," I added.

"You went into heat, which essentially puts me into something similar. In order to keep from hunting you down and finishing the mating process, I... I had Kendra keep me... preoccupied," he tried to explain delicately, but I got the picture. He had sex with her pretty much the entire two weeks I was gone. That hurt worse than seeing her in his lap. I squeezed my eyes shut as the tears started falling on their own accord. Elias grabbed my hand again. I quickly yanked my hand away.

"Just stop! Get the fuck away from me! Or better yet, just reject me. That'll probably be less painful than what you've already done. I don't want to see you. While I was practically burning alive, you were having sex with Kendra! Now, I may not know much about werewolves or mates, but even I know that you betrayed me," I said bitterly.

"I'm not rejecting you," he said sternly. I grunted and threw my hands in the air in frustration.

"Then why the hell am I here?! You say you need me but you obviously don't. You have Kendra. You always have, right? You took me from my family, you hurt my boyfriend, you threaten the life of the people I love and put me through hell and for what? To claim you do everything for me? If that were true, you wouldn't have slept with her! You bit me; you put me through this hell and did whatever the hell you wanted in the meantime. I want to just go home and pretend none of this ever happened. I hate you, Elias Madsen... I really do," I sobbed. I regretted my words as soon as I said them, but at the same time, I meant it somewhat. I hated Elias for what he did to me... but I didn't hate him, even as much as I wanted to. I was hurt. Elias froze and just stared at me. A look of pain crossed his face. I knew I hurt him too, and a part of me wanted him to know how I felt... but the larger part ached with the thought of hurting him. It only made me mad at myself. I grunted and puffed out a breath.