Chapter 1: Split-Second

-Chapter One: Split Second-

The frown marring Axel Garcia's usually-smiling face was unbecoming. Neverland Bookstore's employees suddenly found themselves on the sharp edge of Axel's glare as she strolled into the shop with a fierce scowl attached to her face, instead of the trademark thousand-watt smile. Her perpetually-divine braid was falling out of the rubber band that held it together, her clothes were all rumpled, and her shoulders were slumped in defeat. Beneath her angry, glaring eyes lay deep pools of pain and sorrow.

"Hey Axel," Hilda greeted as Axel strolled into the private office they share. At twenty-three, Hilda Suarez was pretty as all pretty women go. With short, hair as dark as the night sky in the middle of the storm, and sparkling eyes as brown as the earth on a rainy afternoon, Neverland's employees couldn't quite fathom why she hadn't hooked up with anybody. Axel, too, for that matter.

The two owners of Neverland have been friends since they were five, sisters since they were eight, and business partners since they were twenty, but they were as different as night and day. Hilda was the sweetheart of the duo, whereas Axel was the daredevil. Hilda was the one who's got boys dogging her every step, whilst Axel was the batch prankster with whom everybody wanted to be friends with. In college, Hilda was the president of the pep squad, and Axel was the literary editor of the university publication. They were both popular though, and were joined at the hip in spite of their differences. There ran within the same crowds, spent almost all their free time together, and were each other's avengers during their respective heartbreaks. It was a wonder how they never got tired of each other.

One of the few similarities they shared was their love for books and literature. The bookstore was merely a childhood dream whispered under the covers during nights they couldn't sleep. They dreamed of an idyllic, cozy bookshop that would cater to fellow-bibliophiles, especially children and children-at-heart.

We'd sell new books and pre-loved books, they'd said when they were dreaming up their bookstore. And we'd have a small nook with lots of throw pillows and beanbag chairs where people can read and relax, they'd added.

We'd paint the shop in pastel colors: blue and pink, yellow, beige, yellow green, Axel had enthused.

And we'd spray paint magical images and characters. Peter Pan and rainbows and unicorns and Atlantis and Narnia! Hilda had added with a delighted shriek.

And Harry Potter! Axel had demanded.

And Harry Potter, Hilde had agreed with a solemn nod. And people would never grow up in that book store. We'd always be children forever.

Good children, Axel had promised. Forever.

After graduating with high honors, their parents gave them a loan, which they used to establish their small business. Days crawled into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years. The small bookshop steadily grew into one of the most successful specialty bookstores in the metro, popular to readers of all ages. During Tuesday nights, Axel would host a small event where young writers can share their works and have them critiqued by fellow enthusiasts. All in all, Hilda and Axel were living their dream. They believed they wouldn't need anything more.

Except Axel, that is, who was, at the moment, looking as if her heart has shattered into a thousand pieces, and she was forced to walk on it.

Axel acknowledged her best friend and associate's presence with a defeated sigh. "Heya, Hil."

"How's it hanging?" Hilda asked, mindful of the mood her friend was in. She walked over to the area where their precious treasure-- the high-end cappuccino maker-- was gurgling its magical concoction, to pour her best friend a cup.