Chapter Five

"Lexi! Let's go!" Noir's voice echoes down the hall.

             "Goodness sakes Noir have a little patience!" I snap when I reach him. "It's only 11:30, Caroline won't be at the beach until 12."

      We're heading to the beach today, Friday, with Noir's family. I've been at his house for 6 days now.

        "I'm just excited. Oh, by the way, I invited some friends to come too." He comments airily.

        "Excited about what, your friends or seeing me in a swim suit?"

       "Definitely seeing you in a swim suit." He says with a cheeky grin.

       I slap his arm and turn to march out the door. I'm wearing a white bikini with a navy blue lacy coverup.

       As we walk across the street, I ask him, "Which friends did you invite?"

        "Louis, Mac, Jonathan, Myra and Pepper."

        I suppress a groan. Clearly he doesn't realize that Pepper and I did not hit it off Tuesday night.

        We reach the beach, our flip flops slapping in the sand. His parents are already there with a blanket and huge cooler. We approach them.

"Hello Mrs. Linston, Mr. Linston. Where's Landon?" I say.

Mr. Linston smiles, "Good morning Lexi. Landon is down the beach."

        They turn back to what they're doing, ignoring Noir. That's how his parents treat him. They think he was bad luck because he was born at 7 'o'clock on Friday the 13th. His parents are majorly superstitious. They don't care where he is or what he is doing, and they're happy when he's not around. That's why he has no curfew and does pretty much what he wants.

        I turn to Noir, "Walk with me?"

        He nods and I turn, leading the way down to the ocean. I reach the waves and stick my toes in, it's cool but not cold.

       "Do you think that I-" Noir starts to say and is cut off by a shout behind us.

       "Noir! Lexi!" His friend yells.

     How does he remember my name? Which guy is that?

      "Yo Mac! Good to see ya bro!" Noir yells back and charges across the sand.

    There's my answer.

All of his friends are here, including Pepper in the most inappropriate, provocative bikini I've ever seen. Caroline and Landon are at the blanket also.

        I walk over and smile at Pepper, but it feels more like a grimace.

       "Hi Lexi!" The other girl, who I assume is Myra, says with a smile. I think I met her Tuesday night but I don't remember.

        "Hi." I say, forcing another smile. Myra seems okay, but I still distrust Pepper.

        Landon and Mac start to put up a volleyball net, for a big game.

         I slowly peel off my coverup, feeling self conscious that I don't have a cool belly button piercing in this group of girls who do. Even Caroline has one.

        Just when I hope no one will notice, Pepper does. "Isn't it popular to get belly buttons pierced in Vermont, too?" She asks coolly.

         "Um, well, since it's usually pretty chilly there, it's not very popular, no." I say, my face heating when I realize I'm not making much sense.