Chapter 12

It feels like I've been in this car forever, and I'm exhausted; driving down highways for hours gets incredibly boring, incredibly quickly.

I groan after looking at the clock on the dashboard, realizing that I've been driving for almost seven and a half hours. That is by far the longest I've ever driven without stopping at all.

Luckily, I've just passed into Idaho, and the road signs let me know that the first town I can stop in is called Fruitland. After a few minutes, I can see the town in the distance. It's incredibly small, but I am grateful to see a Wal-Mart.

Now, in normal situations, I would never, ever shop in a Wal-Mart. But desperate times call for desperate measures. And one time I read that Wal-Marts let people park their cars in their parking lots overnight and sleep in them. So it looks like that is going to be my best option.

There are no cars in the parking lot as I pull in, so I park the SUV in a spot that is not too close to the front, but also not right by the street. With a sigh, I turn off the GPS and place it in the center console.

I unbuckle my seatbelt and hop out of the car, before quickly getting right back in, but in the backseat. I groan, knowing that even though the seats are made of nice leather, it's no bed.

Praying for a miracle, I get on my knees and look in the trunk, hoping for some sort of blanket. When I first started driving, my instructor taught me to always have a blanket in my car, just in case I got stranded in a snowstorm.

Amazingly, I guess Noah and Garrett learned the same thing, because there are a few blankets thrown in the trunk, as well as several pairs of clothes and shoes. I grab two blankets, using one for it's intended purpose and the other as a substitute pillow.

Thankful for the black tinted windows that the SUV has, I get comfortable, before slowing falling asleep.

~*~

When I wake up, I feel absolutely horrible. The only way to describe it is like when you wake up from a nap and you have no idea how long you've been asleep, or who the hell you even are.

I sit up, running a hand through my luckily not too messy hair. Looking around, I see several other cars in the parking lot now. At this point, I'm starving and don't have any money with me.

I decide to move back up to the driver's seat and check the glove compartment, since that's where I usually keep my wallet. I'm overjoyed when I open it and find a large wad of cash inside. Quickly, I count the money and find over $500.

"Jesus Christ, how rich are these people?" I mumble. I don't know what werewolves do to get money. Do they even have real jobs? Maybe they just use their scariness and strength to rob people. I shudder at the thought.

My stomach rumbles, and I know I need to eat something. I run my fingers through my hair a few times, trying to look as presentable as possible before hopping out of the car. I make my way towards the entrance of the Wal-Mart. Once inside, I go directly to the food section, knowing that that is really the only thing I need.

I pick up a few bottles of Vitamin Water, some chips, a couple apples and some beef jerky. Once I think I've got enough food, I immediately make my way to the cashiers, wanting to get back on the road as soon as possible, for fear that Braxton may find me. By now he must know that I'm gone, and I assume he's already looking for me.

I place all my food on the counter in front of the cashier, who is a girl that looks like she's few years older than me. Her nametag reads Grace.

"Good morning, how are you?" she asks me, as she picks up a Vitamin Water to scan.

"I'm good," I reply, "How about you?"