Sweet Warm Smile

'Is it just me or is Parabola's curve edging closer to his Y axis lately?' Simon asked as we watched Bainbridge's distinctly slimmer form make its way across the lunch hall.

'He's definitely lost some of his paunch,' CJ agreed. 'Maybe he's shedding kilos so he looks svelte for the end of semester dance.'

'Probably gearing up to ask Ms What's-Her-Name from Geography to go with him.' Simon said, his eyes on the maths teacher. 'He's always chatting her up during playground duty.'

We'd finished our lunch but weren't making any moves to leave. It wasn't all that warm in the lunch hall but it beat the slap of frigid wind and rain outside.

CJ flicked his balled up napkin across to Simon's side of the table. 'So, you planning on asking anyone?'

'Yeah,' Simon said. 'Emma just broke up with Mark and I reckon I'm definitely in with a chance. You asking anyone?'

'Actually, someone's asked me.' CJ looked sheepish. 'I'm going with Jasmine.'

'Jasmine Tang? Asked you?' Simon's voice came out higher than usual.

CJ nodded and Simon managed to look both constipated as well as confused.

Then he turned to me. 'Guess now we just have to find you a date.'

I shifted in my seat. Then looked across the lunch hall to a table in the far corner, where Hannah was sipping a hot chocolate and reading Me, Earl and the Dying Girl.

'Actually, I've already got one.'

Simon and CJ followed my line of sight.

'Bombe Alaska?' Simon squeaked in disbelief. 'No way!' His voice was edging steadily higher. 'How did you get her to say yes?'

I shrugged. 'I told her how much my mum earned in a year.'

Simon's mouth fell open. Next to me, CJ started laughing.

Across the hall, the corners of Hannah's lips turned up and the warmth of her smile reached into every cold crevice of the room.

Sweet Bombe Alaskaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें