Untitled Part 1

All week I've been writing this chapter of my story, and I don't know if it'll be one of the beginning chapters or one of the middle chapters... I'm not even sure if it's good, and I fear it might be way too long. I think I might have way too many irrelevant interactions... I need some opinions... It's a little over 4,000 words right now. Please leave any thoughts below! Also, please be honest. I need criticism in order to improve. (: Oh, and, do you like the title Mysterious Occurrences? Is that appealing at all? Enjoy the story! Thanks for reading!

Chapter ?

When I wake up on day 265, I'm in excruciating pain. I don't know what's causing it or what part of my body it's coming from. My thoughts are clouded, and a mixture of pain and images from the nightmare that plagues me nightly swirls through my mind.

Biting my lip and failing to repress the pain, I extend my arm toward the lamp without moving the rest of my body. My fingers barely reach the beaded chain, but I somehow manage to get a firm enough grip on it. My daily routine begins under the dim luminescence.

I am able to sit up normally, proving that my upper body is fine. My arms, hands, and fingers are in good shape. My left leg, along with its corresponding foot and toes, seems perfectly normal. I discover that my right leg, however, is the source of my pain. Any attempt at moving it results in a new dose of agony.

Knowing that I won't have time to do this later, I carefully grab my journal from under my pillow and a pen from my nightstand. It takes a long time; I don't risk any movement that will affect my leg. Sweat rolls down my face. I begin to write in hurried cursive: day 265 - sharp pain, right leg.

I return the worn journal to its resting place and turn off the lamp. A couple of minutes pass as I weigh out all of my options, reaching the conclusion that there is no way to hide today's damage. I rummage through my thoughts for any believable scenario that could cause my supposedly broken leg. Nothing seems feasible. What could I have been doing in the middle of the night? All I can think of is falling out of my bed, but even that is a stretch. Oh well, I think to myself, it'll have to do.

Keeping in mind that the sooner my parents get here, the less time I will have to deal with the pain, I make the quick decision to go through the motions of what could have occurred. I try not to think too thoroughly, fearing that I'll be too much of a coward to go through with it. One part of me says that I shouldn't risk further damage to my already mysterious injury, but the other part of me says that my parents will never believe me if I go through with this. The second part of me wins. If I tell anyone the truth, they would think I'm crazy. After all, how is it possible for someone to break their leg if they never left their bed? It's not like my once blatant fear of the ceiling fan breaking loose of its hold and recklessly flying through the air became a reality....

With the covers wrapped around my body and my hands gripping the disrupted sheets, I draw in a long, deep breath and propel all of my weight to the side of the wide bed that is nearest to where I am laying. A loud thump echoes throughout the room when I hit the hard floor. The scratchy carpet and the quilted covers partly break my fall, but most of my weight is unfortunately thrust upon my right leg. A choked sounds escapes from my lips and a single tear unwillingly leaves my watery eyes. I scramble to remove the sheets from beneath my leg, hopefully making the scenario seem more realistic.

From my parents' room across the hall come the sounds of two people waking up and dragging themselves out of the comfort of their bed. I have to strain to hear anything over my own unsteady breathing, but my parents are clearly confused and slightly annoyed. It is only 12:44 A.M., according to my alarm clock.

I take a deep breath and try to keep my voice steady enough to be understood. "Mom! Dad! I need some help," I exclaim. I try not to sound too desperate, but the pain is taking its toll on my fragile body. Uneven footsteps can be heard traveling from their room to mine.