5.

MISSING: KEVIN JACOBS. The words flashed across the morning newspaper in bold, black letters, completed with a small picture of the bully's freckled face.

"Timmy, that's your name, right? Timmy, let me go and I will never hurt you again!"

Tommy's grin was taunting. He watched the face of the bully turn to a cherry colour as he tried to rip his body free from the rope that restricted him.

"My name is Puppet Boy," was all Tommy replied as he stood in front of the boy. He was told to keep a good watch on him, to make sure he didn't get away. He was doing a pretty good job! His creator was going to be so pleased!

He had to remember not to ever call his creator "father" again, because he knew very well what would happen if he did.

Kevin stopped struggling when the both of them heard the steps of the basement begin to creak from above them. With each dragging squeak, Tommy's heart pounded naturally with fear. He didn't give his creator a reason to beat him this time, and he knew that, but he also knew that sometimes his creator would beat him for fun. To be safe, he stayed with his feet planted in the same spot he was left in and prayed he wouldn't receive any more tears to his flesh.

Thankfully, Tommy's body heated in relief when his creator slipped his arm around his shoulder from behind, pressing a kiss to his forehead. Tommy smiled so hard his cheeks hurt - it had been so long since his creator had made any loving contact with him.

"You did a good job, Puppet Boy," his creator said with pride as his eyes settled on the fear-stricken boy in front of them. "He was a wonderful find."

Tommy nodded, looking down at the newspaper that had crumpled slightly in his grip. He held it out shakily to his creator, who happily took it and gazed at the front page in amusement.

"Let me go! My parents will sue you, they will sue you! And... and you will be on the streets! I always knew you were a psycho, Timmy! I always knew it!" Kevin yelled out, still struggling against the ropes.

His creator only chuckled while shaking his head. He turned around and began to sift through a few tools, making Tommy's heart drop to his stomach. When he realized they likely weren't going to be used on him, he took a breath of reassurance.

"I don't want his parents to put us on the streets," Tommy said cautiously, hoping that his words wouldn't set his creator off. He kept his eyes trained strictly ahead at Kevin who wouldn't stop yelling. He was probably the most annoying of all the puppets his creator had ever created!

"It doesn't have any parents anymore, my beautiful Puppet Boy," his creator answered distractedly, pulling out some more tools along with his special paintbrushes. "It has me now."

His creator held up a syringe, his leather lips pulled back into a wicked smirk as he squirted the liquid into the air.

"I hate anybody that hurts my puppets, even if they are puppets themselves."

His words were almost inaudible. He cackled maliciously as he stepped towards Kevin with the needle between his wizened fingers.

All that Tommy could remember was Kevin's dark, widened eyes as his father forced his hands behind his back and pushed him down the basement.

"Thank you for telling me about this wonderful new puppet!" his father had exclaimed proudly. He had the red-haired boy held securely in his grip the second he walked through the back door with him.

Kevin's eyes were dark and wide with panic, but the look on his father's face made Tommy happier than ever. In fact, he was ecstatic - his father... his creator had finally praised him! And even allowed him to have a glass of water as a reward.