Shower me with gifts....

Not here. Calvin wasn’t here. As my mind processed the fact that he wasn’t at school today, I glanced over to the door just in time to see Kelsey and Amber walk through the door, late as usual. Glancing my way, I quickly looked down at my history book laying on my desk to avoid the uncomfortable gaze. 

Not here. Okay, no biggie. Maybe he had just overslept. Maybe he had car trouble. I would see him at lunch, I was sure. Yes, lunchtime. He would definitely be at lunch, and we could talk then. That’s what I was hoping, anyway.

Lunchtime finally rolled around, and rushing to what had quickly become ‘our’ table, I sat down, anxiously looking around for any sign of Calvin. He would be walking through those double doors any second now, I just knew it. After waiting and watching for about half of the lunch hour, I realized that Calvin in fact more than likely wasn't going to be coming into the cafeteria today. Gathering my untouched lunch together, I discarded it into the trash and made my way to the school’s office.

“Oh, Jenna, hello. Can I do something for you?” Ms. Richards, the office secretary asked as I quietly entered the office.

“Uh, yeah, hopefully so. Calvin wasn’t in first hour today, and we took some pretty important notes for this test we have coming up. I thought I would run my copy over to his house after school today, but I’m not sure what his address is, or exactly where his house is,” I replied, giving her the first excuse that came to mind. We had taken notes today, although I hadn’t wrote any of them down. I had spent the majority of my time doodling on my notebook paper, trying to pass the time and to help keep my mind off of Calvin and his absence. “I guess I was just wondering if you would be able to give me his address so I could take the notes to him,” I quickly added.

“Uh, well,” Ms. Richards fumbled through several pieces of paper strewn all about her desk. “I’m not really supposed to give out personal student information, Jenna,” she replied, suddenly appearing uncomfortable.

“Oh, okay. I didn’t realize that,” I replied, racking my brain for a valid reason as to why she should give me his address. I’m pretty sure that telling her I was in desperate need of talking to him so that I could hopefully salvage any sort of relationship between him and myself wouldn’t exactly go over too well. 

“Well,” Ms. Richards began, glancing around the office, deserted except for her and I, “I suppose I  could give it to you, just this once,” she said, a small smile spreading over her lips, as if she knew there was an underlying reason other than the one I had given her. “But don’t tell nobody,” she quickly added, her fingers quickly flying over her keyboard. Glancing back and forth from the computer screen at the corner of her desk to a small pad of paper positioned just off to the side of the keyboard, I watched as she quickly scribbled down Calvin’s address. 

“Here you go,” she said, holding out the small squared-shaped yellow piece of paper. 

“Thank you so much,” I replied with a smile as I took the paper from her fingers. 

“Just remember, don’t tell anyone that I gave it to you. We’ll both be in trouble,” she replied with a wink.

“Oh, I won’t, Ms. Richards!” I said with a smile of my own. “My lips are sealed!” I added, quickly turning to leave the office as the bell to go to class rang outside in the halls.

Shoving the small piece of paper into my front pant’s pocket, I briskly made my way to my locker, gathering my fifth hour things as quickly as possible and making my way to my chemistry class. Sliding into my seat just as the tardy bell rang, I quietly pulled the piece of paper from Ms. Richards from my pocket, staring at it underneath the table.