Chapter Four - Detention with McGonagall

"I can't believe it." Ron said, for probably the seventh time in two minutes.

Hermione Granger had mouthed off to a teacher. She didn't know what came over her. Ever since Ron and Lavender got back together, Hermione had been feeling angry and short-tempered. So at some point in Transfiguration, Hermione said something to Professor McGonagall a little louder then she should have. And Draco, having laughed, landed himself in detention as well.

"Barely a week into school and already the Head Boy and Head Girl are in detention." McGonagall had said, angrily, before they left class. "I want you both in this classroom at seven o'clock sharp."

So that's how, at five to seven, Hermione left Gryffindor tower and walked down the marble staircase, passed the Charms hallway and up to Professor McGonagall's Transfiguration classroom. At the door, was Draco Malfoy, also waiting for McGonagall to arrive.

"Sorry." Hermione whispered.

Draco looked confused. "Why are you apologizing?"

"If I hadn't made that snide comment, neither of us would be here." she muttered darkly.

"It's okay," Draco replied. "It was a matter of time before I did the same thing as well."

Hermione smil, wearily. Draco Malfoy was actually trying to make her feel better. At his words, some of her guilt evaporated. McGonagall arrived a few moments later, unlocking her door with a wave of her wand and leading Draco and Hermione inside.

"Pick a desk, you will be sitting in silence." said McGonagall. "No talking whatsoever, unless your hand is cut off or it's a life-threatening injury."

She was much more bitter then usual.

After about an hour of sitting in a deadly silence, McGonagall announced that she was going to get herself something to drink, and that if either of them wanted anything, now would be the time to say it. Draco said he wanted a hot chocolate, while Hermione said she wasn't thirsty.

McGonagall left, locking the door beihind her.

Draco smiled and stretched before standing up and pacing around the room.

"What are you doing, Malfoy?" Hermione hissed. "We were told to sit and not talk." She clamped her hand over her mouth, realizing she was talking.

"Relax, Granger." Draco replied calmly. "The hot chocolate machine is broken; it'll take her at least ten minutes to get it up and running again."

Against her better judgement, Hermione felt herself admiring Draco for his quick thinking.

"So," Draco continued, trying to act casual. "How are Potter and Weasel?"

"Do you really care how they're feeling, Malfoy?"

"No."

"Then don't ask."

"Just trying to make conversation." Draco said, defensively. "We're supposed to pretend to like each other, so we kind of have to pretend we care, don't we?"

"Well, Malfoy, if you got turned into a bouncing ferret again-" Draco flinched at the memory. "-I would care. I would't have to pretend."

Draco looked stunned as he leaned on the windowsill.

"Really?"

"Well, yeah." Hermione flushed. "You aren't as bad as you used to be. I would kind of feel bad for you."

"I'm 'not as bad as I used to be'?" Draco repeated. He laughed coldly and went over to Hermione's desk. He leaned on it, bringing his face about five inches away from hers. "Granger, I was a Death Eater." He rolled up his left sleeve, showing the Mark burnt into his skin. It wasn't as dark as it would have been if Voldemort was still alive. "I have to look at this every day to remind me of what a stupid mistake I made. I almost ended up like my father. So saying that I'm better now, isn't much of a compliment."