CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

As soon as the two police officers were gone, there was a rat-a-tat on the front door.

     Betty sighed. Phillis again. Feeling far from sociable, she answered the door. Phillis brushed passed her without waiting to be invited inside.

     ‘What did they want?’

     ‘On a fishing expedition, but they didn’t catch anything.’

     ‘Oh!’ Phillis didn’t hide her disappointment.

     ‘What?’ Betty could not help snapping. ‘You thought they would arrest me?’

     ‘Don’t be daft,’ Phillis said equally snappish. ‘I wondered if you had learned anything.’

     ‘I’m sorry, Phil.’ Betty relented realising she was being unfair. The fruitless interview with the police officers had upset her. She should not take it out on her best friend.

     ‘It’s okay, Bet,’ Phillis said. ‘I know you’re worried about Bernie.’

     ‘I talked to Griff earlier,’ Betty said dispiritedly. ‘He says he can’t do anything to help. It’s so frustrating.’

     ‘Maybe it’s best to leave it to the police,’ Phillis suggested tentatively.

     ‘They haven’t got a clue,’ Betty said testily. ‘Their minds are set on Bernie. They won’t look elsewhere.’

     ‘Maybe you’re right, Bet, but there’s really nothing you can do.’

     Betty was silent for a moment.

     ‘Yes, I can,’ she said at last. ‘I can make my own inquiries.’

     Phillis shook her curly head.

‘Not a good idea, kid,’ she said dubiously. ‘Just think for a minute. If Bernie didn’t do it then the killer is still on the loose.’ She clapped a hand to her mouth for a moment. ‘Oh heck!’ she said at last. ‘That thought hadn’t struck me before.

‘I got a feeling the killer is not on a spree,’ Betty said. ‘Joan was killed for a specific reason. She poked her nose into something she shouldn’t have.’

‘And now you are proposing to do the same. Like I said, not a good idea.’

Betty wrung her hands. ‘I’ve got to do something! I can’t stand by and let Bernie take the blame.’

‘But what can you do that the police can’t?’ Phillis objected.

‘I’ve got one advantage over them. I know Bernie is innocent. I can ferret around and no one will suspect a thing.’

‘You hope!’

‘But where to start, Phil, that’s the thing?’

‘Well, it’s too late to begin tonight,’ Phillis exclaimed. She glanced at her watch. ‘Bingo starts in the community hall in half an hour, and you’re not ready.’

‘Bingo!’ Betty exclaimed. ‘How can I enjoy playing bingo with Bernie accused of murder?’

‘I thought you wanted to ferret around,’ Phillis said with a sly grin. ‘Well, the community hall will be packed with residents. All the suspects in one place.’

Betty stared. ‘You know, you’re right! Unless...’ she hesitated. ‘Unless the murder will have frightened them off.’

‘Them lot!’ Phillis chuckled. ‘Miss their bingo? Not likely!’