13- The woods isn't a place for a rebel.

A/N I know I shouldn't update, but I've already got everything up to chapter 18 written, and everything leading up to chapter 30 written in an outline. So I'm feeling confident,

The song on the sides sets the mood for the chapter, I think. So give it a listen and let me know what you think of all the songs I've posted on each chapter!

Enjoy! xx

Chapter 13

I walked through the woods, trying to get a good sense of where I was, and where I thought the wolf was. I was determined to prove Hanna wrong, and I also really wanted to see this wolf up close.

The first wolf in California in decades! And I was going to see it, in person! I jumped in excitement as I walked further into the woods, flashlight on, and phone ready to snap a picture at any sign of the wolf.

He couldn’t be too far away, the howl I heard was pretty close. That means he was probably sleeping somewhere near my house, and I shouldn’t have too much trouble finding him.

I walked for what seemed like hours, but was truthfully only 45 minutes. Beginning to get tired and losing hope, I turned around to go home. No wolf tonight, I guess. I walked and walked, and walked, and walked. Panic began to set in as I realized I walked farther into the woods than I thought I had, and that I was totally, and completely lost.

“Damn it!” it was just like me to do something like this. Go out of my way to prove a point not even worth proving, and get lost in the middle of the night in the creepy, and getting creepier, woods.

I decided to stop walking, because it was better to stay put and wait to be found, than to continue walking around hopelessly lost. I didn’t know who was going to find me in the middle of the night, but I had to at least give myself some hope before I broke down and cried.

Then I heard something that made my skin crawl. A deafening growl sounded behind me. My breath hitched in my throat, and, terrified, I turned around to see nothing but two red, glowing eyes staring right at me.

It wasn’t a wolf, because wolves didn’t have red eyes, but what was it? I couldn’t think of anything, partly because I was about two seconds away from wetting myself. I decided to not worry about what the hell it was, because it sounded angry. It growled again; yep, definitely angry.  I turned around and ran for my life.

I ran as fast as I could, but not before my dumbass tripped on a fallen branch and fell on my face, scratching it.

And this was how all the dumb blondes died in horror movies, not setting yourself away from stereotypes now are we? My inner voice taunted.

Now, was so NOT THE TIME FOR YOU. I ignored my inner voice, and hurried to pick myself up, ignoring the obvious pain in my ankle, and continued to run. I didn’t dare look behind me. I was too scared.

I fell once again, but this time I didn’t trip, no, whatever it was that was chasing me had grabbed me, and clawed at my ankle, making blood gush out, as I winced in pain.

The next few things that happened were a blur. I wasn’t sure if I had hit my head from my fall or it was all the adrenaline in my system, but a saw a flying flash of light, and then a loud crack as something zoomed and hit the tree; igniting in a bright light.

I saw three people, two men, and one girl who looked creepily like Amber. They were all holding weapons of some sort. I didn’t recognize one man, and the other had a hood on, shielding his face.

“We’ve caught you, there’s nowhere to run. Now why don’t you show us who you are.” The man, whose face wasn’t shielded, said.

At first I thought they were talking to me, but then I heard a loud and once again deafening roar as the people stood, aiming their weapons toward a dark spot in the clearing we were in.