The Night It All Happened

I wake up to a high pitched scream, I run to my door but right as I get to it, I hear footsteps but they didn't sound like my moms or my brothers, they sounded heavier like a guys footsteps. I franticly looked around my room for a place to hide and I found my closet to be the best place so I run to the closet, as I reach it the footsteps stop.

Peaking through the closet door, I see someone slowly open my bedroom door. The man looks for a minute then shuts the door and I see his shadow disappear. I hear his footsteps patter down the stairs. I hear voices whispering but low enough to where I couldn't hear what they were saying. Then the voices stopped for a minute it was eerily quiet like no one was even here, then I heard a scream and gun shots. It was quiet again.

I hear voices again and drawers opening and closing, things being pushed around. Then I hear the front door open and soon after that car doors and a car starting. I hurry out of the closet and rush down stairs into the living room to see my mother dead on the couch. A tear rolled down my cheek as I saw my mother laying there motionless. There were footsteps from upstairs and I remember my brother, Bryan, was home. I dashed up the stairs to his room to see him crying and I sighed in relief, glad to see him alive.

I went up to hug him, he then he asks where mom was. I didn't know what to say, I couldn't just say "Hey, mom is dead", so I just simply told him he shouldn't worry about it, but I guess he didn't want to hear that because the next thing I know he jumps right up and runs down stairs. I jump up and run after him. I get down the stairs and see my brother hugging my mother crying and screaming saying she needs to wake up. I then started to cry because the realization hit me, my mother was dead.

It occurred to me that I need to call the police and an ambulance. I stopped crying and grabbed the phone to called the cops. I just said that my mom is dead and I will tell them the rest of the story when they get here because my brother needs me then I hung up. I drop to my brothers side and pull him into a tight hug and I start rocking him and I back and forth saying that we will be okay. A few minutes later the cops showed up.

*ONE HOUR LATER*

My brother and I sit in the back of a cop car about to leave to go to the police station for more questioning on what happened tonight. Apparently the hour of questioning us and the neighbors wasn't good enough. I sit in the seat just staring out at our house. The house with all the police tape and police men everywhere studying the crime scene. The paramedics dragging out my mothers body taking her into the ambulance. I put my head back to the seat. Tears start streaming down my cheeks.

When we get to the police station they stick my brother and I in one of the offices, they give us hot chocolate and tell us to wait. I don't touch my hot chocolate. My brother, however, sips it quietly and slowly. Soon a detective comes in, "Hi my name is Josh and I am doing the investigation on this case. I am going to ask you a few questions about what the people who came in to your house looked like." He showed us pictures of wanted people but my brother nor I knew what the people looked like. After the questions detective Josh left the room.

It was a half an hour since the detective left and my brother fell asleep. That left me to my thoughts, and I started thinking about last night before everything happened. That's when I realized what time it was and how much time had actually passed and how I still have school tomorrow Suddenly, the door opened snapping me back to reality.

Josh came in the office and sat down. "What about your father"? Josh asked. "He divorced my mom because he didn't want to take care of us kids so he left to Massachusetts. That's all I know."

"Okay well I have to call him because you two need a place to live." With that he asked for my dads number which I gave him, knowing my dad wouldn't care about all of this though. He wouldn't let us live with him and he didn't want to see us, he hates us.