Chapter 3: Xeru

Xeru stops running as Liah jumps through the portal, just as it closes.
   "You know there's a way out for me."
   She had said.
   The truth was, Xeru didn't know there was a way back for her. He has a mission to kill Wisty and Whit Allgood. The One had failed, and so has Pearce. As did the Mountain King. So he was next in line.
   He needed that portal gift more than anything right now. Xeru smooths his silver hair back from his face, his ember eyes glowing. Surely Liah wasn't the only one who had that gift. He just needs to find out who else has it.
   Xeru spreads his wings. Yes, he had wings. Big silver ones, with topaz and ember streaks. He runs and jumps into the sky, beating his wings up and down. He looks like an angel. He spots Pearce down below and soars down. He lands softly on the ground.
   "Liah got away, sir."
   Pearce grimaces,"How exactly did that happen? She has to still be here somewhere."
   Xeru bites his lip,"She actually seemed to have made a portal. She jumped through it."
   "You idiot," Pearce spits,"You could have jumped in after her. I will search for someone who has this ability."
   Xeru nods, feeling guilty.
   "Whitford and Wisteria must die," Pearce growls,"I will contact you when I find someone."
   Then Pearce disappears into thin air.