Chapter 9 | Gambling My Heart Away | Part 4

After beating the man at blackjack and slaying at pool, Vince and I decided to head back home.

Laughing, Vince steered the car towards my street. "We were pretty good today, Zoe. We work well as a team."

I bit my lip over his double meaning and dared to ask. "Did you have fun?"

Shutting off the car in front of my house, Vince turned over to look at me, a sly smirk on his lips. "I had a good time."

Surprising myself, I smiled back. "As weird as it was, I did, too."

"Let's do this again." He leaned his back against the seat. "Let's do this again next week."

I shook my head, pursing my lips. I barely got away from Zach this time. I couldn't afford to let that happen again. "I can't."

Without batting an eye, Vince continued to admire me, studying my face. "Do you want to?"

Staring back, I felt my heart stop. His eyes were holding something more than observation. They held intimacy.

Before I knew it, he leaned in again, bringing his lips to mine. At first, I stay still, not wanting to give in. I knew what Vince was doing. He had an effect on me that he was very aware of, something that weaved me in and kept me wrapped around his finger.

The dreamy bad boy of Oakland High was kissing me, and I was holding still.

What in the world was I doing?

Giving in the desire to hold Vince against me, I shut my eyes, parted my lips, and kissed him back. Bringing my hand to weave into his hair, I let as much of my body press up at him, perfectly fitting into his. Letting him lead, I felt him lean into me, brushing sweet, sensual kisses down to my neck. I felt the cool, minty breath fawn across my body, sending ripples through my hair. Something soft brushed against the edge of my jaw, planting a light kiss there. Shivering, I felt vulnerable and turned my head to the side, my hands still fisted in his hair. The flames were back, heavier, more passionate than ever before. More kisses trailed across my jaw, over my cheek, and onto my nose.

"Yes," I breathed slowly, finally responding to his question. "I do want to do this again."

He chuckled, and asked me between kisses. "Next week?"

"Next week." I nodded, leaning away so I could look at him. Two confident hazel eyes gazed back, just as passionate, just as ready.

"Just so you know," he whispered, quietly, "I would never let another guy kiss you." Veering back, Vince shot me a smirk. "Now, do you want me to walk to you your door?"

The second he brought up the door, my thoughts shot back to my brother. There was a possibility that Zach was still home.

And there was a possibility that Zach would be pissed.

Letting out a sigh, I shook my head and opened the car door. "Not today. I'll see you next week, though."

"Next week, Saturday," Vince nodded. "I'll pick you up at seven, again."

"Where are we going to go?" I asked.

"Wherever you want to go. You can choose."

"Okay." I raised my eyebrows and stepped outside. Reaching over to shut the door, I waved at him. "Sounds good. See you then."

With that, I turned around and walked to the house, waving one last time before twisting the doorknob open.

Vince waved back, waited for me to get inside, and then drove off.

Intoxicated from his presence, I shakily let out a breath and shut the door, gaping over what he said: "I would never let another guy kiss you."

Oh, gosh.

I sighed. Why wouldn't Zach let me talk to Vince? Why did I have to go behind his back to do this? What was so bad about Vince that Zach hated him so much?

And why did I like doing this?

Author's Note

Not sure how I feel about this...however, please vote and/or comment if you think that this deserves it! :) 

Edited: May 20, 2018