Chapter 4 - The King

I had a hard time sleeping that night. I was worried Sabine would get up and smother me with a pillow or stab me in the face with a pair of nail scissors. Morbid, but I wouldn't put it past a girl like her.

Also it turns out that Emma, who slept in the bed next to mine, snores. Not obnoxiously or anything, but enough that my already agitated mind was too focused on the sound to even attempt sleep.

By the time I finally did manage to fall asleep, I was rudely awakened by a cheery hotel attendant, who informed us that breakfast was to be served in one hour. We were to get ready and wait for someone to come escort us downstairs. When the door closed behind her, I threw my head back down on the pillow and groaned.

"Hard time sleeping?" Emma asked with a long yawn.

I wanted to complain about her snoring but held my tongue. My stomach rumbled and I realized that I hadn't eaten anything since I got off the plane. Breakfast could not come soon enough.

I rolled out of bed and stretched my arms. I figured I might as well get a head start on showering. I had to share that bathroom with three other girls after all. I knelt down by my bag to retrieve my shower supplies when I heard a door slam.

I looked up to see Sabine was no longer in the room. Stephanie groaned loudly and strode over to the bathroom door and knocked on it.

"You better not take too long. The three of us need this bathroom too!" she said. The sound of the water turning on was her only reply. Stephanie sighed and flopped back down onto her bed.

"Wake me up when she's done," I said wearily.

"Ok," Emma replied. I fell back onto the bed and pulled the covers over my head.

***

Sabine ended up taking an entire half hour to shower and insisted on going back in to apply her makeup but Stephanie, thankfully locked her out. The three of us had to scramble to get ready in such a short amount of time but we somehow managed. Although by the time our escort arrived only Sabine looked presentable. Her hair was dry and styled and her makeup simple but flawless. Stephanie, Emma, and I looked like wet dogs in comparison.

We took the elevator down and were led into an enormous room lined with marble. Floor to ceiling windows lined one of the walls, illuminating the room with a golden haze and displaying a breathtaking view of the beach. Ornate dining tables and chairs were arranged artfully all over the floor. A buffet stood on the far side, hungry girls already crowding around it.

The four of us scattered as we rushed toward the buffet, eager to examine what was being served. I caught a whiff of maple syrup and my mouth watered. I could kill for some pancakes right now.

The buffet had that, along with every other traditional breakfast food I could think of, and some that I had never even seen before. I grabbed a plate and helped myself to some pancakes, as well as a generous helping of syrup. Spotting Emma and Stephanie at a table by themselves, I figured it wouldn't hurt if I went a joined them.

I put my plate down and pulled up a chair. They said nothing, which I chose to take as a good sign. I glanced around the room, overwhelmed by the presence of so many girls in one space. All of them were chatting excitedly about Melanie Caldwell's message from last night.

"I can't wait to meet him!"

"What if he's like... ugly?"

"So what if he is, he's the freaking king of vampires!"

I had to admit, I hadn't thought about the fact that the king's ancient portrait might be a tad embellished. It would be hilarious if it turned out to be the case. Certain girls would be very displeased.