One

Michael loved waking up knowing he was in the presence of Luke. He groaned, arm outstretching over to the tiny blond's side of the bed in hopes of feeling his boyfriend's soft skin and being able to pull his lover to his chest. The bed was empty, making the thirty-two year old frown with his eyes still screwed shut and chapped lips pressed into a thin line. He was sure he had drifted off to sleep with Luke by his side and now waking up from his nap to an empty bed wasn't exactly Michael's ideal way to wake up. He rolled over, pulling the sheets further up his body so it fell just over his shoulders, leaving nothing but his head sticking out from under the thin bedsheets. It was hot, like any typical Australian summers day and Michael could already feel the linen sheets sticking to the thin layer of sweat that covered his body. The air conditioner was switched off; Luke hated those. The windows were open but that wasn't of much help; there was no wind.

If Michael listened close enough, he could hear the sound of utensils clattering around in the kitchen of his small apartment in central Perth, meaning Luke hadn't left Michael to wake up to an empty apartment on New Year's Eve. He could hear the sound of his boyfriend's voice faintly in the distance, singing a tune that made Michael lips outstretch into a satisfied smile. He loved the sound of Luke's voice, wether the seventeen year old was talking, singing or moaning. Michael could lay there for the rest of his life and simply listen to the sound of Luke's voice as the blond went on with the simple things in his life. He could hear the opening and closing of drawers, the popping of bottles followed by the sizzling sound of something hitting a hot frying pan. He instantly knew his lover was on his almost daily task of making himself some chicken nuggets. Processed frozen chicken was what had brought the thirty-two year old and his boyfriend together, and Michael was adamant that it would be what would keep them together.

He didn't dare move, appreciating every single note that fell from Luke's lips as he sang happily. Michael would never understand how one single person could bring so much happiness into his life by doing nothing other than sing. He would never understand how a sixteen year old kid had captured his heart and held on to it for a whole entire year, as of that New Year's Eve. Michael only hoped Luke would hold on to it for so much longer, for as long as humanly possible. God knew Michael would hold onto Luke's for as long as Luke held onto his. If only Michael could understand what the seventeen year old beauty saw in him in the first place. If only Michael could understand what a vibrant soul like Luke could possibly want from a dimmed soul like Michael.

He could hear the sound of Luke's feet hitting the hardwood floors as the blond made his way into the bedroom. Michael had not yet opened his eyes, waiting for his boyfriend to come in first before he made it clear that he was awake. He knew well enough that Luke would've wanted him to get out of bed and joined him in the kitchen. Luke was clingy at times, but Michael was okay with that. He was too, when he stopped to think about it. And things were no different when the door creaked open, Luke's feet dragging him onto the carpeted floors of the bedroom almost shyly. He closed the door softly, knowing how Michael hated sudden loud noises while he slept. It always made Michael scared that something had happened to Luke and he hated that feeling. Luke understood.

"Baby?" He whispered softly, licking his own lips as he watched his lover roll over onto his back and slowly open his eyes. He could see the purple bags under Michael's eyes meaning the thirty-two year old hadn't had an early night and the nap he had taken on that Tuesday afternoon was well deserved. Luke still couldn't help but feel lonely as Michael slept and he was left awake in his boyfriend's small apartment.

"Hey, sweetheart." Michael cleared his throat, cracked lips stretching into a smile as he saw his lover standing there in nothing but one of Michael's old shirts. It was always satisfying to Michael to see how his clothes engulfed Luke, sleeves almost reaching the blond's elbows and hem falling a little below his mid-thighs. Michael loved how small Luke was compared to him. "Come for a cuddle?"

"I just made lunch." He said in a small voice as he took two small steps closer to the bed. "Or dinner, I don't know."

Michael watched silently as the skinny boy paced towards the end of the bed, climbing onto it and crawling over to his boyfriend. Luke didn't do as he usually did, laying next to Michael and placing his head on the older man's chest and wrapping one of his legs around the man's waist. Instead, he sat on the heels of his feet, knees barely brushing against Michael's side as his large blue eyes stared at the pale man laying in front of him. Luke would still find himself looking over Michael's features with a certain curiosity; the way his cherry red lips contrasted with his pale skin and the way his pale green eyes popped out in contrast with his dark hair. Luke loved all the contrasts he saw in Michael. He only found himself snapping out of his trance as he felt his boyfriend's hand resting on his exposed thigh, moving it gently to caress his skin.

"Let me guess," Michael smirked playfully. "Nuggets?"

Luke let out a giggle, using his hand to cover his mouth as he did so. It had been exactly a year since Luke and Michael first met, and it seemed to them like after all that time, nuggets were still the only thing Luke could cook without setting something on fire. Michael thought it was adorable. He watched as his hand moved up and down Luke's hairless leg and like most times Michael touched his boyfriend's skin, he wondered if Luke's legs were always shaven or if the blond still hadn't hit puberty quite right. The doubt always brought a feeling of guilt to his chest; Luke was too young for him. He pushed the thought aside as he felt the mattress move, Luke shuffling closer to Michael so that he could sit comfortably on his boyfriend's lap.

"I turn eighteen this year." Luke said almost without much interest. His voice seemed slightly distant, making the black haired man wonder what it was that could possibly be going through his boyfriend's mind. But as Luke's big blue eyes stared back at Michael, he realised the statement was to be followed by something Michael said. Michael was always the one with the final word, not because he felt superior to Luke or because Luke felt inferior to him. There was simply that unspoken agreement between the two that Michael knew best. After all, Michael was thirty-two and Luke was seventeen.

"I know, babe." He sighed, watching as his chest moved up and down dramatically with Luke's hands flat against it. The blond frowned slightly, looking down at Michael's exposed skin and how their skin tones almost matched. Luke was still slightly tanner. "Well, actually, next year. There's still plenty for hours in this year."

"Things will be better for us when I'm eighteen, won't they?" The blond asked in a murmur. The question made Michael frown, tilting his head slightly as Luke's gaze avoided his.

"Are you not happy with the way things are now?"

"I am." Luke nodded. "And I'm not. I don't want to be a secret anymore."

Michael sighed, smiling sadly at the small blond that sat on his lap. His hands moved up and down Luke's thighs, slowly but surely getting the blond comfortable enough to look down at him. Once Luke did, Michael puckered his lips in an unspoken invitation for Luke to kiss them. The young boy pouted, but leaned down nevertheless until his lips met his boyfriend's in a closed mouth kiss. Michael's lips against his always had a way of making Luke feel better. He only wished a kiss could be the solution to every problem he encountered along the way. If life were a fairytale, Michael would be Luke's knight in shiny armour ready to save the day. Luke knew life was no fairytale, but he still chose to live in his bubble of happiness in which Prince Charming made things alright. So far so good.

"I love you." Michael spoke after a long silence. Luke didn't know if those were the words he expected to hear, but they sure were good enough for him at that moment. "Next year will be our year, you'll see."

"I love you too." Luke replied, hoping Michael's words were right.

~~~

such fluff