{Chapter} 1

{Chapter 1}

Katie Morris smiled as the couple at the alter of the small country church exchanged wedding vows.

*That makes twelve*

She sighed as the ceremony came to a close. The bride looked stunning in her white lace dress and glowing face. The groom looked… nervous. Beads of sweat rolled down his forehead as his eyes darted to the preacher then to his bride. She smiled knowing that the man took marriage seriously. This couple was sure to last.

“You may now kiss the bride” the preacher’s voice rang loud and clear throughout the church.

Katie cringed. Now they both looked nervous. Why wouldn’t they be? To her knowledge, neither had kissed before.

It was an awkward kiss, but nonetheless a kiss. The first kiss of Avery and Elizabeth Jenson’s wedded life.

Katie slipped out the back door when the ceremony was over. She had done her part for Avery and Lizzy, now she was on to her next couple. Jane Peters needed a match, but Katie was baffled when it came to a possible husband for her. Jane was shy and timid and nearly a 17 year old hermit, which was unacceptable. Katie had to find her a man who could bring out her personality and confidence. Yet what man like that existed Sundance? None that she could think of, that was for sure.

“Katie!” a voice called.

Katie turned to see the bride walking toward her.

“Lizzy! What are you doing? Get back in there with your husband” Katie pointed back to the church.

“You ran off before I could thank you. Avery is a good man, and we never would have met if you hadn’t helped him along” Lizzy smiled.

Katie hugged the woman. “It was my pleasure.”

“Now you just need a man for yourself,” Lizzy said.

Katie gave a weak smile, her heart stinging at the words. “Maybe” she said to satisfy Lizzy, as she always did when people pressed her to find a man.

“It’s been four years, Katie,” Lizzy said sympathetically.

Yet it would take a lifetime to recover from the grief of losing her fiancé. Besides, now was no time to discuss her love life when Lizzy had a wedding party to get back to.

“Never you mind. Run along before your relatives come looking for you” Katie shooed Lizzy off toward the church and smiled, though her heart was breaking at the constant reminder of what she had lost.

Lizzy ran back to the church and went inside. Katie turned on her heel and walked away from the church and her newly wedded couple.

The town of Sundance was flowing contentedly with business as usual, and the sound of wagon wheels and horse hooves echoed through the dusty air, giving the town its usual comforting ambiance. People walked here and there, chatting and talking comfortably until a fight broke out in front of the saloon and Katie made herself scarce. That fat Sheriff Duncan hadn’t lifted a finger since he was voted in five years ago, and there was no reason for him to start today. If Katie knew the town of Sundance, there would be a town-wide brawl in a matter of minutes. Things like that had started happening since the only law enforcement left with Deputy Adam Sterling, who disappeared two months ago after a bank robbery and his brother’s death. Katie personally didn’t like the man, but he was good at his job when he was around. Now he was probably belly up in some abandoned ally after hunting down his brother’s murderers.

Mounting her old appaloosa, Joe, Katie rode out toward the MC Ranch where she made her home. She passed her close friends on the way there, the Dylans, about an hour out of town. She smiled as she recalled how she knew that Wade and Aubrey would stick together from the very beginning. They were still getting along after nearly five months of marriage, and Katie hadn’t heard them once argue. Some couples were just meant to be, and Wade and Aubrey Dylan were a fine example of that.