Prologue

The sky was darkening. Huge gray clouds begin to march their way in, taking over the beautiful sky. To my right stood my brother Gabriele and to the left my sister Nicolette. We were one body. Our thoughts were one. I didn’t have to ask to know what they were thinking. They saw it too. This was the work of the evil. Darkness spread throughout the room. Emanating from the body in the center of the room. Poor Gaston. We tried to warn him. Like the others he ignored us. They always did.

Claw marks covered his wrists. Blood oozing from the wound. Seeping onto the hardwood floor below him. We looked on. The three of us. Our eyes locked on the body of our dear friend. He accepted us for us. We were the prophets that would deliver this world from those devils. Those Diables á Ailes, those winged devils. They were the ones who took him from us. A tear falls to the ground, turning to ice the moment it leaves our eye. The darkness was causing the temperature to drop rapidly as we stood in the room, waiting for the guardians to come. It was their job to protect the people from the evil but they continue to fail.

The evil needs to die. Their black blood needed to be spilt. How else would this world survive? Our lips let a sigh escape. We move one foot in front of the other, stopping a few inches in front of the body. We squat down and take a better look at our friend. The evil had made it seem like he was sleeping. Such a peaceful expression was planted on his face. Perhaps he was at peace. Unlike so many others he was now free of living in this world surrounded by evil. That was still no excuse. We would kill the Evil for what they did to him. Even if he was unbound by the restraints of this world, he still didn’t deserve to die.

“Dash,” Nicolette whispers in a melodic voice. Gabriele and my eyes turn to her. “We know who did this. Let’s not deny it. She needs to be found and made to pay for this crime.”

“Nico is right,” Gabriele echoes through my mind. I watch them then my eyes flow to Gaston.

“We told you so my friend. She was one of the evil ones, do you see that now?” I look to my right then to my left. “Gabe, Nico, I think it’s time we took up the sword. We will find her tonight.” They nod in agreement. The braying of the metal horses fill the room. We stand as the Infirmiers flood into the room. They went straight to our friend’s lifeless body. A flash of black catches our attention. Our heads snap in the direction. Black wings spread throughout the room. It consumes every available space. We look to each other. We all see it, the Infirmiers ignore it as they work on Gaston. We took shallow breaths, the wings were sucking the oxygen from the room. How could they ignore it, we thought as one.

“Where is the body the wings spread forth from,” Gabe voices what we all were thinking. She was here. Ice covered footsteps walk into the room. It approaches us. We take a step back.

Poisonous words spill from its mouth, “I’m so sorry. I didn’t know he would do that. I just couldn’t be with him any longer. I feel so bad.” Lies, we think. Black blood trickles down the white cheek. Long white fingers wipes them away. The evil’s vile breath continues to spread its lies. A woman guardian walks over to us. We open our mouth to tell her not to touch the evil but it’s too late. She wraps her arms around the evil.

“It’s not your fault honey,” she says. “Ne vous inquié tez pas, do not worry, these things happen sometimes. The breakup between you two was probably just to much for him to handle. You must not blame yourself for his death. Unfortunately, unlike the movies, most people do not leave a suicide note behind, explaining their actions. Our eyes glare at the woman. Already she is being corrupted by the evil. We speak as one,

“Gaston did not kill himself,” we scream. The room goes silent. All eyes look upon us.

“What do you mean,” the guardian ask. She gives us a skeptical look.

“The evil killed him. Gaston would have never taken the cowards way out. S’il vous plaî t, you must believe us, please.”

“And what evil is this?”

“The one beside you is one of them. She is a Diables á Ailes. Don’t let it fool you. She did this to him.” Feathers of black flutters through the room. We have angered the evil. We only speak the truth. She falls to the floor and release a sickening cry. We cover our ears from the pain it causes. Weird looks are given to us.

“I loved him,” it says. “Why would I wish this upon him.” Her sobs grow louder.

“Winged Devils,” the guardian asks. “Folie! Craziness.” She shakes her head, offering a hand to the evil. It was too late for her. Nico places a hand on my shoulder.

“We should prepare for what’s to come,” her voice is so low that it seems she speaks to no one at all. The evil wails uncontrollable. No doubt trying to infect the others in the room with its poison. The Paramedics remove the body of Gaston on a stretcher. The gray of our eyes follow it out. More tears turn to ice as they fall from our eyes. I look at the evil. Her time is coming to an end.

“Quittons cet endroit. Let us leave this place,” I say to Nico and Gabe. Thundering footsteps of the just leaves the place now filled with a creeping evil that threatens to destroy all that’s good in this world. This would not be the end. We would avenge the death of Gaston. La guerre vient les yuex bleus. The war is coming blue eyes. BEWARE!