Chapter 11

"Today we will be handling a delivery from Erudite" Eric tells me. "As a leader you will have to interact with other faction's leaders from time to time without the faction ambassadors present. Today is one of those times. We need to catalog the new computer equipment then give it to the control room so they can set it up, then take the medicine to the clinic and the serums are going straight to Max's office while we figure out when to distribute them to the rest of the faction."

We walk to the main entrance of Dauntless and wait for the cars and trucks with the delivery.

"Good afternoon Eric." 

I hear a women say behind us. I turn to see Jeanine Matthews. I remember her from back home she would have dinner with the family after long days working with my father and I guess my brother as well.

"Who is this?" She points at me.

"This is D. She was ranked first in her class and chose to become a leader in training so I am training her in the proper way a leader should act. She is also my sister."

Jeanine's eyes widen ever so slightly at the word sister. She covers it fast enough I don't think Eric saw it.

"Eric can I talk to you in private?" Jeanine speaks quickly but elegantly.

"D, start working on the computer equipment and if you finish before I come back start on the medicine." He turns and walks off with her leaving me to deal with all the work, of course. I sigh and start to work.

I call up to the control room after I am done with the computer equipment to get Four and Justin to send down the cases to put it all in for transport up to them. I quickly finish it and start on the medicine. I get it to the clinic and Eric still has not come back. So I go get the serums and bring them to Max's office. I go to knock on his door right when it opens and Eric practically runs into me, his eyes look cold even for him. He pushes me out of the door and walks past without a word. Jeanine comes after looks me up and down with a smug grin and then Max is just looking at me emotionless. I bring in the serums and he thanks me before closing the door leaving me in the hall. I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach and decide to go back to the control room to talk to Four and Justin.

They are the only ones in the room when I get there.  I close the door and lock it. I don't want anyone coming in and I am positive I can trust Justin with what I am about to ask Four and him to do. I hope I am right. Four sees me first and smiles at me.

"Hi Four, hey Justin."

"Hey D." They say at the same time.

"What can I do for you?" Four speaks after looking at the door. "It must be pretty important for you to lock us all inside here with you."

"I need to see the meeting that just happened in Max's office." I state, emotionless.

Four looks wearily at Justin. I sigh.

"Justin look if you don't want to be witness to this leave now, but just know I trust you enough that I don't think you would hurt me or Four or get us into trouble. I understand if you would rather not spy on some of the leaders of this faction."

Justin looks between us for a moment, like he is really thinking about it. He was born Dauntless he was raised and taught to respect and to fear the leaders.

"D, I will follow you where ever you go. I can help keep you safe and with me, only if I know what is really going on so I will stay, and thank you for trusting me enough to begin with." 

He gets up and hugs me, kisses my check and whispers into my ear so only I can hear. "I love you." 

I smile and feel my ears get red I kiss him on the lips forgetting Four was there until he coughs and we separate. We both smile slightly embarrassed. I take his hand and we walk over to Four where he has set up the computer to the time of the meeting. We are all around the computer listening to the meeting it seems pretty straight forward for a bit, then Jeanine starts talking and it is like the whole meeting shifts.

"How do you know you can trust her?" Jeanine speaks.

"Who D? She was ranked first and is my sister why wouldn't I trust her. She will be a leader here and I am training her to be like me she wont be soft she will understand the importance of what we are doing." 

At least he doesn't want to kill me, I think.

"Her aptitude test and a simulation of hers had some issues."

"What kind of issues?" Max.

"Are you trying to tell me you think she is divergent?" Eric is starting to look really pissed.

Four and I look at Justin. He is just staring at the screen intently listening. I see a bit of worry in his eyes.

"That is exactly what I think."

"Your wrong she cant be, I know her." He slams his hand on Max's desk. 

"You knew her. She has had four years without you, and she knows how to defend herself and how to survive with or without a faction your mother allowed her to learn anything she wanted your father told me what she can do. Divergent or not she is a threat to our plans."

"What do you want us to do?" Max speaks again. 

Everyone looks at him. Jeanine smiles.

"Inject her tonight and program her to do something she never would do. Have her kill a friend or break up with her boyfriend or have her cheat on him with someone else. If she does what we program her to do then we are fine and we disconnect her from the program if she doesn't then give her to me. I am sure her father would be so happy to see her again."

I start to hyperventilate. I can't go back to my father. He will kill me after he experiments on me. Seeing him again is a death sentence. I am so caught up in my own fear of seeing my father again that I don't notice Eric flinch back slightly. 

"I'm going to die."

Four and Justin look at me, my breathing is out of control. I can't think. I drop to the ground my back on the wall. I bring my knees into my chest and I start to cry.

I hear Four and Justin murmuring about something but I don't care anymore. My brother is going to find out and he is going to practically sign my death certificate.

"D?" Justin sits next to me his arm around me pulling me into his chest, I turn and cry into his shoulder. "Hey it will be alright. I promise I won't let them hurt you. We will figure it out."

"I can't go back to my father." I cry out. Tears are still running down my face into his shirt.

"She has been abused by her father and he has tried to kill her before. He is one of her greatest fears." Four speaks to Justin as if I am not here.

Justin squeezes me tighter into his side and kisses my forehead.

"What can we do?" They both look at me.

"I don't know what, if anything can be done. It is all up to Eric now what happens." Four sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose.

I am at dinner sitting with Justin, Four, Tris, Uriah, Chris, Christina, Will, Buckley and Zeke. The doors open and the whole dining room goes silent. My back is to the door but I know who entered. I look up at Four who is just looking at me with friendly but pained eyes. I look at Justin who just looks at me with love and fear. I lean over and kiss him on the cheek. Eric walks behind me puts a hand on my shoulder and says to follow him. I get up as does Justin he gives me a hug. I kiss him again and whisper into his ears the last thing I might say to him.

"I love you."

He gives me a kiss so full of passion and longing and love. 

"I love you too."

I turn and walk out of the dining hall with Eric.