Chapter 24 - Safer

Please answer my questions on the previous page.

We stood in front of the gate, ready with our weapons to take the inside of the prison. I had my gun tucked into the back of my jeans, but the goal was to avoid using it, so instead I gripped hold of my machete.

I stood next to Maggie and behind Daryl while Beth, Lori, Dad, Carol and Carl were by the side fence, ready to act as a distraction, banging on the fence if the walkers began to swarm us. Rick opened the gate, sliding it across and T-Dog took the lead through it. Daryl followed him and then Rick, Me, Glenn and Maggie while dad shut it behind us.

We kept close together in an almost circle, covering all sides and taking out any walker that came near us with whatever makeshift weapon we had. Daryl had his hunting knife and crossbow while Rick had another machete. Glenn had a metal rod that had been filed to a point and Maggie had a knife that somewhat resembled a meat cleaver. T-Dog had a fire poker.

"Hey! Come on! Over Here!" Beth was yelling, accompanied by the other four on the outside. A few walkers were drawn to them and they took them out easily through the wire.

The more we advanced inside the more spread out we became. I stabbed a walker straight through the eye and pulled the blade out just in time to splice another's head in half.

"Don't break rank." Rick ordered, the more spread out we became.

T-Dog bolted for a plastic shield that was lying on the ground, the item having belonged to one of the prison guards. He shoved a walker away with it, the corpse falling to the ground as Maggie stood over it and finished it off. We tightened the circle once again, covering each other's backs.

"Almost there..." Rick stated.

He rounded a corner only to jump back and pin himself to a wall, gesturing for us to do the same, apparently having seen a large heard. The only one of us who didn't was Daryl, having being far enough back. About 20 metres in front of us a few walkers, armoured in the prison guard attire rounded another corner, causing Daryl to aim his crossbow towards them. That was when another two rounded the corner closest to us and the arrow Daryl sent flying at one of them only bounced off the helmet that walker was wearing.

There were a few unarmoured walkers that joined them that were easy to take out, but every swing seemed to just bounce off the others as we simply just continued to shove them away from us. The bright side was that they couldn't actually bite of scratch, however, they were a real nuisance when they tried to do so.

Rick made a break for the gate to trap the larger heard, yelling out for Daryl's help as he did so, the two of them closing and locking it with Glenn covering them.

Only the protected walkers remained. I kicked one away from me, the thing landing flat on its back, giving me an opening to slice my machete up under its visor and through its chin. The others had caught on to do the same, jamming their knives up under the helmets.

It wasn't long before we had cleared the area, leaving the trapped walkers behind the second gate that led inside the prison itself.

"Stop." Rick pulled us up before we could run back to the others and let them in, inspecting our surroundings for any danger points.

"Well, it loos secure." Glenn stated.

"Nothing will lead to that courtyard over there." Daryl pointed to the trapped walkers. "And that's a civilian." Daryl informed, pointing to a dead female walking in a floral dress.

"So, the interior could be over run by walkers from outside the prison." T-Dog added.

"Well, if there's walls down what are we going to do? We can't rebuild this whole place." Glenn spoke.