Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Elizabeth

    It was strange the way my childhood home looked as if I'd never left it at all. This place was a world of its own. As I stood in the foyer, I was in awe. The antique wooden stand still stood against the wall to my left with what looked like a brand new bouquet of lilies, and to my right, the same family portrait my family had taken out in the sunflower field still hung on the wall in a nice picture frame.

    It had been a long time since I'd seen a picture of mother and Eric, and when I did finally see it, I was filled with more warmth than ever. That was one good thing about daddy-he never did remove their pictures so he wouldn't have to look at them. If anything, he'd put more up so that we'd never forget-so that their memories would remain forever. I stepped closer to the photo, and my eyes stopped on daddy. He had always been a handsome man, but in this photo, he looked so young and happier than I'd ever seen him. I missed that man-the man in the photograph. He was my father. Not the man that had sent me on my way with a blink of an eye.

    I quickly looked away before I got choked up and took a few steps inside. The staircase stood in front of me, to the right was the dining room with the same classic dining table that was set to perfection and to the left was the living room.

I stepped towards the living room, and my hand pressed up against the molding of the open door way.  My eyes searched the room and almost immediately, my fingertips ran across the wood until they ran over the carvings that mother had made over the years to record mine and Eric's growth.

    My throat felt tight- as I glanced over them. Mine never got close to Eric's because my father didn't take over that roll when my mother died. That was okay, I didn't want him to.

    Pushing away from the wall, I walked into the living room. The same couch sat in the exact spot, and the same musky blue patterned floor length curtains were still detaining the sunlight that was aching to shine in. I walked over to the fireplace-my foot found the hollow spot in the wooden floors that always creaked when someone stepped there. Just for good measurement, I leaned in and put my weight on the exact spot. 

    A light smile took over my lips as the floor creaked and dipped in a little bit.

    "I told your father for years these floors needed to be replaced." Rosa mentioned from behind. "But of course, you know how stubborn he always was."

    When I looked back, Rosa was sitting two glasses of tea onto the coasters that sat on the coffee table. She then sat down on the couch. With a warm smile, she patted the spot next to her. "Don't think I forgot how much you loved this couch."

    Taking a few steps towards her, I took a deep breath and sat next to her on the comfortable white couch. As soon as I sat, Rosa's hands covered mine that were sitting in my lap. "How are you doing with the news?" She asked, gently.

    I looked up into her dark brown eyes, knowing that she'd never judge me. Over the past ten years, there had been plenty enough for her to judge but not once had she. "I'm...Okay, Rosa." I breathed out, softly. "It's not me, I'm worried about."

    I watched as her eyes filled with tears, but she quickly blinked them away. "Oh. You foolish girl. You don't need to worry about me. I've been well taken care of over the past four years. Of course, I'm distraught over the passing of your father. He showed me nothing but kindness, but there will be brighter days. I just know it. Especially since you are back." She squeezed my hands, and smiled.

    Forcing a smile back to her, I couldn't bring myself to tell her that my trip would be short lived. So, I didn't. I quickly cut the conversation short, "Things have really changed around here. Well, everything besides the house."