The Spawns | Chapter III -- The Prodigal Son Is Back

THE SPAWNS

Chapter III-Lilibeth

The Prodigal Son Is Back

 © DarknessAndLight

“He’s here,” I yelled happily, and backed away from the window, running from the living room to the hall to see the front door when it would open.

            Jay’s car had just parked in front of the house.

            Mama and Papa walked out of the kitchen, smiling broadly, but I stubbornly stayed in front of them. The minute my brother was walking through that door I was going to jump in his arms.

            “The prodigal son is back,” Jayden announced loudly as he opened the door and I ran to him and jumped in his arm, wrapping my arms around his neck.

            “JAY-JAY,” I squealed, burying my face against his neck.

            The bags my brother had been holding dropped on the ground, and he wrapped his arms around me, lifting me off the floor. “Hey Belly, I wasn’t aware that you were missing me,” he teased.

            I pinched his arm. “Zip it!”

            That just made him laugh. “Mom, Dad,” Jay said, still holding me, “I would hug you but I have a leech stuck on me.”

             I laughed too with him this time but pinched him again. “I said zip it!”

             But my brother, being my brother, just unwrapped my arms from around him, and threw me over his shoulder, holding on to my legs, “There, I think we can work with that.” I pounded on his back with my fists, though lightly, laughing, while he took a few steps forward. “Hey Mom.” I could see him hugging our mother from the side I wasn’t lying on, and I could hear the smile in his voice.

             “Hi honey,” Mama answered happily, but then she slapped his shoulder, though lightly too. “Jayden Eaton, when did you drink?”

             Oh oh, mad Mama.

             “Last night,” he was using his sheepish tone of voice, “my good-bye party, don’t worry, I just started to drive from Cole’s and I just have the hangover bad breath. I didn’t drive drunk.”

             “You better,” Mama warned.

             Papa snorted from behind. “Good bye party huh?”

             I tried to hoist myself up, to get off my brother’s shoulder but I couldn’t get out of his grip. I huffed in defeat.

             Jay snorted softly. “Please Dad.” I’m sure he rolled his eyes too.

             “It’s good to have you home Jay,” Papa finally said warmly and Jay finally put me back on my feet and hugged our father.

             I knew they had both missed each other, they were just so alike for some things and always together before.

             “Good to be home,” my brother answered. “Man, I even missed the smell,” he almost whined and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, bringing me to his side.