Chapter One

Chapter One

I was going to be late for school.

“But Mom, I told you I had to be early today. I have something very important to do at school!”

I’d awoken before my alarm went off and planned my morning with almost militant precision. I’d jumped into the shower and scrubbed every inch of my body. I even took extra time to loufa my feet, knees and elbows because today I needed the confidence of super soft skin. Today was the day I would get Aiden Reynolds to ask me to Homecoming, but only if I got to school early enough to flirt with him before Trig class.

“Colby, I have a showing and your father had to leave early because of the visiting Orthodontists. Remember he’s presenting his new technique this morning? So you have to take the bus to school today. Sorry.”

Mom stood inside my bedroom doorway to deliver this dire news. She didn’t sound particularly sorry, just harried and behind schedule. Taking me to school was just one of those pesky details that took up her precious work schedule.

“Mom! You should have told me last night. I didn’t get up early enough to take the bus!”

“Guess you’ll have to hurry.”

“Fine, I’ll just walk to school,” I huffed.

“No you won’t, young lady. Not with that crazed attacker on the loose. You’ll take the bus.”

I looked up at the ceiling in exasperation.

“Don’t you roll your eyes at me, little Missy.”

“Seriously Mom? I’ll just take the back trail along the ravine and get there in no time.”

“I said no Colby and that’s final. Take the bus.” Her phone rang.

“Marilyn Blanchard Reality, this is Marilyn,” she answered, walking away. I stared at disbelief as her sensibly heeled shoes led her down the hall, away from my objections.

I stifled the urge to slam my door behind her. She was so infuriating! Instead I did a quick check of my appearance in the full length mirror on the back of the door. When I got flustered, my skin turned blotchy and I suddenly feared my face had broken out in hives. After careful scrutiny I sighed in relief and mentally shook off the argument with my mom. It was a Game Day after all, and if our underdog football team could take on last year’s state champions, I could overcome a little transportation adversity.

Taking a deep breath I looked at my reflection and declared “Today will be a great day. I, Colby Blanchard, will execute all of my dance routines and cheers perfectly. I will ace my Trig exam and I will get Aidan to ask me to Homecoming.”

Suddenly, I smiled at myself. Confident that daily affirmation was the best way to start new day. No matter what anyone else said or thought.

I decided to wear my long hair back in a French braid and tie it off with scrunchies in gold and purple to maximize school spirit. Since it was a game day, I already had my cheerleading outfit ready. How could I shave another couple of minutes off of my morning?

I could hardly forgo makeup and I’d already modified my hairstyle, so I felt I didn’t have much choice but to the back trail through the woods to school. It was much faster than taking the bus and really, how many sixteen-year-olds rode the bus? I would be the laughingstock of school if I did such a thing.

For the millionth time I crossed my fingers that my upcoming seventeenth birthday would result in a car, like I planned. I felt like the only licensed teenager on the Eastside who didn’t have her own transportation.