Chapter Fifteen

What happened to the plan? You know—the one where you didn’t cause a half-blood revolution and infuriate an ancient race of sinister Undead?” Thomas asked.

     “It made sense at the time.” I glanced over my shoulder to see if we were being followed. He practically flung me into the backseat of the car and then joined me. Carl drove.

     “Colby, I can’t even begin to tell you what you have done. Have you any idea the repercussions of your actions in the hearing today?” Thomas was working himself into a fine fit.

     “Look, Thomas, if I had done things your way I might have been granted a license. I stress the word ‘might.’ And then what? Live as an outcast in the vampire community for an eternity? Doesn’t sound like an appealing way to spend the rest of time. By forcing them to acknowledge my predicament, I’m giving other half-bloods a chance, which they don’t currently have. Sure, it means less business for you, but I’m confident you can find something else to do with your time.”

     Thomas was sputtering by the time I was finished. “You silly, vapid, frivolous child!! Is that all you think you are to me? A job to be carried out and then off to the next? Bah!” He grabbed my shoulders to shake me and then just as suddenly released them. I dropped back into the seat with my mouth hanging open. I was trying to tick him off but not to the degree that he completely lost his cool.

     What was I supposed to think? He’d asked to be my executioner! That hardly reassured me that he wanted me to win. We traveled the rest of the way home in silence, with Carl driving and Thomas and I sitting as far away from each other as possible.

     Both my parents and Great-Aunt Chloe rushed out the front door to greet us. I was practically pulled from the car by my father, who hugged me fiercely, as did my mother and aunt, my briefcase crushed between us.

     “We will return for you tomorrow at eleven P.M.,” Thomas announced, and they sped away.

     “What is Thomas talking about?” my mother asked, tears flowing freely from her eyes.

     “I’m not done in court yet. They called a recess until tomorrow.”

     “What does that mean?” Dad demanded.

     “I don’t know, Dad. Can’t be too bad, right? If they really wanted to get rid of me then they would have done it already.” I offered this lame insight to make them feel better. I hated what this hearing was doing to my family. When I left earlier they didn’t know if it would be the last time they would ever see me. Now it was stretched out to another day.

     “I’m gonna go talk to Piper,” I told them.

     “It’s awfully late, dear,” my mother reminded me. I looked up at her bedroom window and saw the light still on.

     “She’s still up,” I assured Mom as I hurried across our driveway into her side yard. I waited until my family went back inside before picking up a small stone to throw at the window. It hit the shutter with some force so I tossed the next one gently. That one didn’t even make it to the second floor.

     Muttering to myself, I looked down for some more stones when the scent of a bakery outlet caught my attention.

     “What are you doing here?” I demanded to the seemingly empty yard.

     Chuck sauntered toward me from behind the twenty-two-foot speedboat Piper’s dad kept on the side lawn.

     “Is that any way to greet your only family?”