Chapter 4: Book Worm

It's been a couple weeks since Hailey and Derek have talked. They would share smiles and steals glances, but they wouldn't go up to each other. They would see each other in the hallways, classroom, and even on the weekend. Not a single word was spoken.

It was a Friday and school had just let out. Hailey had texted Brooke, asking to go to the public library in town after school. Brooke was okay with it, but she had to be home by five o'clock because that's when Brooke had to go to work. Hailey agreed to Brooke's terms and started walking to the library. When she passed the school's stop sign, Luke and his friends stopped her.

"Where are you going? Home is that way," Luke said to her as his finger pointed in the other direction.

"Your mother is letting me go to the library," Hailey said as she began walking in the other direction. Luke's friend's car sped off and left a cloud of gray smoke. Hailey rolled her eyes and went the opposite direction. She plugged her headphones in and began listening to Twenty-One Pilots. Her head bobbed to the beat and every now and then she would sway her hips.

She didn't have a care in the world. She didn't care if people thought she was crazy. She was having a fun time, that hasn't happened since before her parents passed.  She was finally enjoying herself.

Hailey walked inside the library and went to her favorite section of books, fantasy. She read through the book titles and picked out the books she found interesting. Hailey grabbed five books and went to a nearby table. She sat them down and picked one up. Her bright blue eyes read the description. She did the same to the other books and sat them on the table.

Mrs. Lake, the librarian, walked over to Hailey. She smiled at how Hailey was so interested in books. Mrs. Lake was like a second mother to Hailey. She always took care of Hailey when she needed help.

"Hello Ms. Hailey," Mrs. Lake said as she approached her.

"Hello Mrs. Lake," Hailey said warmly.

"How are you today," Mrs. Lake asked as she followed Hailey to another section of books.

"I'm good, what about you and Mr. Lake?"

"We're great. I do have something to ask you."

"Okay, shoot."

"Would you like to work here, after school I mean. We lost an employee yesterday and I need someone to work from three-thirty to five o'clock. You know this place by heart. So, what do you say?"

"I'd love to, but I need to make sure it's okay with my foster parents," Hailey said as she picked up another book.

"Okay, here's my card. Call me when you get your answer," she said as she gave Hailey a card and then walked off. Hailey slid the card in her back pocket and went back to the table. She went through the books that she picked out and then checked the time, four-thirty. Her small body picked up six books and carried them to the check out desk. Mrs. Lake checked the books out and the said their goodbyes.

Hailey carried the books in her backpack and slung it across her shoulder. She walked out of the small, worn down building and began her trip to the house. She plugged in her headphones and listened to 5 Seconds of Summer's latest album. Her small feet kicked the little pebbles along the sidewalk. She hummed the song, that was playing, and eventually began mumbling the lyrics. Her voice was quiet and angelic at the same time. She had a skip to her step and she then began singing the lyrics.