Chapter 26: Underage.

Chapter 26

~Lucas’ POV~

It had been two hours since they left and the room was as quiet as ever. There were guards stationed strategically around the camp and a great deal in and around Carson’s quarters. I could hear them moving about outside.

Inside though, was gloomy at best and that was doing absolutely nothing to ease my tension over Adrian’s kidnapping. If anything it was making it worse.

Jessie and Laken had taken to filling the silence with weak conversation, and while Rivers and I had added our two cents here and there our hearts weren’t in it. Mine was with Adrian in whatever place they were keeping him and his was with Marcus.

 As for Grady; his usual high spirits and incessant chatter was nonexistent. He hadn’t uttered a word since the men left. Instead, he sat in his corner, clutching his cell phone as if expecting Thomas to call at any moment.

The doctor had visited exactly once since they’d gone and I was at least happy for that. Jessie and Laken were doing enough mothering already.

“He’s worried about me and Adrian.” Rivers spoke up and we all looked at him. He’d been giving us a play by play of Marcus’ emotions since he left and it was about the only thing that kept us from losing our minds.

Not for the first time I found myself wishing I had such a bond with Adrian and I had no doubt the others did too.

“Do you think they’re there yet? Does this mean he’s found Adrian? Is something wrong?” Laken questioned him but he shook his head.

“I don’t know…I can only feel what he feels, I can’t read his mind.” Rivers replied testily.

“How do you know who he’s worried about if you can only feel his emotions?” Laken asked again and Rivers shrugged.

“I don’t know how I know...I just do.” He finished and Laken sighed.

We were all on edge. I sighed and adjusted myself on the narrow bed. I watched as Laken frowned before pulling up a chair and lowering himself into it.

“If we don’t find something else to occupy our minds, the next few hours are gonna be hell.” Jessie commented as she pulled a chair next to Laken.

“They’ll be hell either way.”Rivers said and no one had anything to say about that one.

“I just don’t understand. Why Adrian?” Laken said.

“Maybe an opportunity presented itself and they took it.” I answered

“You don’t seem very worried.” Rivers accused and I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

“Everything isn’t always as it seems.”

“I’ll never understand your relationship.” Rivers continued, “You guys seem more miserable than happy to me.”

I thought about it for a second. “It would seem that way wouldn’t it?” I began, “It’s true that Adrian and I don’t have the typical relationship. If we’re not having problems then we’re on the verge of having problems.” I chuckled

“I suppose you’d call us dysfunctional and I guess we are, but it doesn’t mean I don’t love him and I know he loves me. We’ll never be the typical couple; hugging and kissing and going on picnics or to the movies…that stuff works for you, it doesn’t work for us and frankly if I had to choose between how we are now and a life where we’re just like you guys I’d choose what we have now.” I concluded, then, “No offence” I was quick to add.