Chapter 2: Harder Days Yet

The first thing my brain registered as I woke up was something akin to screaming and as I managed to sleepily lift my head enough to look at my nightstand I realised it was my alarm clock, reminding me I had to be nearly twenty kilometres from here in the next hour and a half.

"Ugh, stop," I managed to groan as I swatted it onto the floor and while I might have broken it at least I knew I didn't have to listen to its shrill alarm again. It deserved to anyway, waking up innocent people at this ungodly hour for the sake of getting up for work, but then again it was called work, not fun, happiness or joy.

Bracing myself for the day I climbed out of bed, having to put my hand on the nightstand to help myself up. This was not looking to be my day already.

When I'd gotten gotten home I'd been so excited and worried after meeting Gerard I'd been awake until two in the morning. So I was running on about three hours sleep and had a shift running from seven to two, a modern surrealism class at three which meant I'd be lugging around all my art stuff and then I was supposed to be going out for my friend's birthday tonight.

Fuck me this is going to be exhausting.

Shivering from the chill in my room I made my way over to the stereo and put on the last cd that had been playing, hoping the blaring music would wake me up as I headed to the bathroom down the hall to brush my teeth.

---

I'd been sitting on the train for fuck knows how long by the time I completely woke up and I yawned as I looked as my phone, texting a happy birthday to the only person I'd made friends with since arriving in New York. Holly Schmidt, a second year art student who specialised in sculpting.

We'd met in a class we mutually hated, hit it off and the rest was history. Ever since we'd basically been best friends and now it appears we'd finally reached the point where she was allowed to drag me to shitty movie marathon nights. Holly was a hopeless romantic and the cinema just had to hold a John Hughes night on her birthday. I would have preferred to do literally anything else but the birthday girl got what the birthday girl wanted and that was apparently Pretty in Pink followed by every other Molly Ringwald movie ever.

I still had yet to mention to her that I'd met Gerard, she was a fan of the band like me which was yet another thing we had in common but unlike me she had no filter whatsoever and if she knew Gerard had been into the coffee shop then all her MySpace followers were going to.
There was no way I was going to be the girl stuck shooing away fans asking how often he came by and I knew they did it. I'd been on the Internet long enough to know how obsessed people were with MCR. I'm not a schmuck.

Like every other sane person in the world Holly was still fast asleep at six and warm in bed and probably wouldn't be getting my text for the next three hours. I on the other hand was stuck on an oddly heated train in a sweater and one of the thickest jackets I owned since I was convinced I was going to be cold all day and surrounded by suits who looked completely done with life. Some were asleep, clearly because they were dressed like their trip might take a while, others were on their Blackberrys, some just sat there reading the newspaper.
My favourite in particular numbly rotated between eating a danish and drinking what I imagined was coffee from a road trip sized travel mug.

I wish I remembered to get something to eat on my way out.

The novelty of working in a cafe that partnered with the bakery next door had been very short lived when I put on twelve kilos after working here for two months so I couldn't really say I was looking that forward to being the person moving cakes and cupcakes into the display case and throwing out the rest but at least I got fresh baked breakfast and that was enough to make my gurgling stomach happy.