Chapter Twenty

Brooke’s POV

After my complete breakdown, I felt extremely mortified. I was more than grateful when Niall decided to leave it alone as if it never happened. Once we’d climbed down from the top of Bray Head, everything had gone back to normal—well, as normal as it could be when you’re on an adventure with Niall Horan. We now stood in the cellar of the Heritage Center, observing the recreation of a castle dungeon and thousand-years-of-Bray exhibit.

I let my hair fall in front of my face, staring at a tiny red tip on the end of bottom of my curls. I furrowed my brows, recalling Niall and I’s last day at Matt’s flat, and how I had enquired this unnatural red tint on the end of my usually black hair.

*

Niall and I had been watching a movie; however neither of us were too attentive to the screen anymore. We were both lying on our back, a bowl of popcorn resting in between us. I tucked myself into the blanket Niall and I shared and watched as he tucked his hands beneath his head. His smile lit up the dark room so easily.

I popped a handful of the sweet, buttery exploded corn into my mouth, and pulled down the hem of my tank top, covering my belly. Niall had a cheeky grin adorned on his face and I nervously wondered what he was thinking.

Niall picked up a handful of popcorn and stood up from his position on the floor. He stood over top of me and suddenly I knew what he was going to do.

“Don’t you—” He released his hand and all of the popcorn fell into my hair and on my lap. “dare.” I said, but it was too late. “You’re going to pay for that.” I growled, playfully.

Before he could react, I flicked a handful of popcorn up at him, earning a groan in response.

We both threw more handfuls at each and minutes later Matt’s entire living room was a buttery mess.

Niall stalked towards me on the other side of room menacingly. I pretended to be terrified of him, when all of a sudden he tripped on the hardwood, his arms flailing around. He desperately tried to grab something to hold onto before hitting the ground, accidentally grabbing an opened paint canister. Before I even knew to move I was showered with red paint, covering me head to toe, with Niall laying face first across me.

“NIALL!” I shrieked, unsure of what exactly to do.

He let out a furious laugh, pointing at my reddened body.

“Oh, you think that’s funny?” I raised an eyebrow at him. I pulled him towards me, his smile just as breathtaking as before, and smudge a red streak down the side of his cheek.

We both burst into uncontrollable laughter for a view minutes before looking around at the red, popcorn-covered disaster that used to be a normal room.

“Matt is going to kill us.” Niall chuckled.

I helped him tidy the room the best we could—and cover up the spots of paint that wouldn’t completely rub off. I then hopped in the shower to attempt to rid myself of the permanent red dye. It almost completely washed off me—although the same couldn’t be said for my clothes, which now have a permanent rosy tint—except the one tip of my hair that remained painted.

I didn’t mind all that much though. The red just helped me remember a fun time I had with Niall. It was now engraved in my memories and cemented in my hair as a reminder.

*

I giggled loudly and remembrance of our last night before leaving Dublin.

“What are ya laughing at?” Niall looked at me confusedly, as my thoughts slowly trailed back to the present.