Epilogue: 'Waiting Between Worlds'

Falling with a clutter to the ground, Thranduil used what was left of his strength to roll onto his back. He felt his vision blur around the edges, and his body become light and powerless to his command. His life was slipping quickly from him, and he could not stop it. In this moment of clarity he felt the tears of his grief run freely down his cheeks...what had he done?

He had broken his vow.

"Clara..." He whispered hoarsely into the breeze, and closed his heavy lidded eyes. His breathing became labored, as he fought for life, for he had not meant it to come to this. He had not intended to die...and now he could not undo his mistake; "Clara I am sorry...I failed."

The darkness crept further over Thranduil's vision and his body grew colder. His heart stuttered, and his mind escaped him.

Death had come...and it was lonelier than the elf could have ever imagined. So he held on tightly to the only little piece of him that he could. He held onto the memory of his wife cradling his children...and that would be enough to sustain him through his passage to Mandos.

Yes...that would be enough.

To be continued...

****************************
Chapter Media: 'Waiting Between Worlds' - Zack Hemsey

A/N: Author Note, Special Thanks, Book III discussion and sneak peak to follow. Nothing is ever quite over...at least not in my stories.