Chapter 56

Chapter Fifty-Six…

“Don’t go doing anything too disgusting whilst I’m gone, will you?” Matt checked with a grimace as he hovered in the doorway.

I gave him a flat look, thankful that my cheeks weren’t burning a bright red. “You’re practically next door, Matt, I don’t know what exactly you think we’re-”

Matt snorted. “I don’t think I need to explain myself any further.”

This time my cheeks did heat up and I glared at him. “Just go and see Lydia.” I told him sternly, smothering a smirk as I felt Jord purposefully put an arm around my shoulders and probably give Matt a very amused look.

He sighed loudly, but still shut the door behind him and went to see the girlfriend he’d been neglecting recently. That left Jord and I alone, something it seemed like we hadn’t been in a lifetime.

“I wish it was this peaceful all the time.” I declared finally, after a minute or two of just enjoying the silence, only the TV playing quietly in the background.

Jord chuckled. “Me too.” He agreed quietly, smirking as he placed a gentle kiss on my lips. “It feels like forever since I’ve done that.”

I grinned, mouth just barely touching his. “I know.” I admitted. “I’ve missed it.”

Jord pressed his lips to mine again, but this time it was more forceful and I soon found myself on his lap. We’d never gone any further than kissing, and I doubted it would be any different today, but I wasn’t going to complain. This was much better than anything I would even consider doing at the moment.

His hands gripped my waist and I smiled against his lips as I tangled my hands in his hair.

Then, we both froze, pulling apart and twisting our heads simultaneously to stare at the TV screen in horror.

Can I please welcome Leonie Hartman to the studio.” The news reporter announced as the camera panned out to show Leonie sat on the sofa opposite where the reporter woman was sat. “So, you’re one of Jessica McCarthy’s best friends, then?

Leonie nodded with a serene smile on her face. “I’ve been friends with Jessica for years.” She told the reporter, who failed to detect the slight hostility in that sentence.

My attention snapped from the television to the doorway in an instant when Matt and Lydia burst through the door, immediately pointing at the TV, only to notice we were doing exactly the same thing they must have been. I didn’t fail to notice Matt’s warning look when he saw me on Jord’s lap, however, and I quickly moved, realising that Lydia was still ignorant when it came to our relationship.

Thankfully, she had been too preoccupied with Leonie on the screen and what she was saying to have taken in our position. I quickly followed suit and returned my attention to the news. “You must have been really upset when you found out what had happened to her.” The woman said sympathetically.

Leonie nodded, expertly concealing her smirk. “Devastated.” I didn’t fail to notice the sarcasm in that word, but the reporter certainly did.

And what do you have to say about the way Arthur kidnapped his own daughter?” I didn’t see what Leonie could possibly say about that, but I didn’t really want to find out. I wasn’t going to sit about and wait until Leonie dropped the Jord bomb on everyone. The police might have decided that there was nothing in it, but if parents found out that a teacher at their school was even suspected of being in a relationship with a student then they wouldn’t be happy. It wouldn’t be long before Mrs. Hippo came up with an excuse to have Jord fired permanently. She couldn’t just ignore parents’ demands and complaints.